Smart Tabs or Bennett Self-Leveling Tabs

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smart Tabs or Bennett Self-Leveling Tabs

Define "best". There is no ultimate comparison between helm adjustable tabs and Smart Tabs. I am a fan of both, but the fact is that helm adjustable tabs result in a level of control that no other single tool can bring to a v-hull. If you have ever asked a passenger to switch sides, or move forward to balance a boat then you will absolutely love helm adjustable tabs. If you only want lower planing speeds and better hole shot, then Smart Tabs will work for you. The self leveling feature is good if you want to just point and go, same with Smart Tabs (without lateral ability). I prefer to manually adjust helm adjustable tabs continually for water, wind, load, water sports etc.

Smart Tabs are less costly, and a much simpler install. All other benefits go to hydraulic or electric tabs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm sorry. They are similar products. I assumed you were talking about the Auto leveling feature Bennett has. I forgot they started to market "passive" tabs. I like SmartTabs as I mentioned. I assume the Bennett's will perform similarly. What size boat?

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no problem, i should have clarified it better
its a 21ft bayliner, v6 engine with volvo penta 280. i have trim tabs there now but motor is broken. this boat is not worth putting tons of money into, i use it for fishing and wakeboarding. it has trouble lowering bow on start and steers like crap when trolling at low speed. i have hydrofoil on it now.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You mean that you have Bennet type trim tabs now, and the hydraulic pump "motor" is broken? Or are they Lencos? I think there may be some better solutions than replacing your existing tabs.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_2098.jpgi am not even sure what brand current ones are to be honest, here is a picture of an outside of hydraulic unit.
there is a conversion kit for around 100$ from smart tabs to re-purpose current tabs with their actuators.
i remember using tabs that i currently have on the boat (when they were working) and found it to be little annoying to adjust them for take off and than back once boat is going. i also looked into bennett auto tab control but i think its an overkill for this boat, its really not worth it :) i can do the installation myself but parts alone with worth more than the boat :))

QC

Supreme Mariner

No pic, but sounds like Bennet's if they are hydraulic.

i remember using tabs that i currently have on the boat (when they were working) and found it to be little annoying to adjust them for take off and than back once boat is going
Then you are on the right track with the conversion. I usually mention point and shoot as the deciding factor if it's not about budget. For you it sounds like both, budget and hands off. Screams SmartTabs to me :)

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks :) i would love the auto trim, but with repairing or replacing that hydraulic (fixed pic) unit i would be looking into probably 500+ range, not sure if it will worth it ...
do you know if i will be loosing any speed with smart tabs? i've not gotten this boat more than 33mph and everything counts here :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

How old is your boat? If Tabman shows up here, you might be surprised about Bennett's level of support. May be less money to fix than you think ;)

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its a good question, on the registration it says 87 and hull number refers to 82, so its in that range ;)

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

That's a Boat Leveler in the photo. It looks like it might be original to the boat. Does it make any noise? Have you checked both ends of the ground wire? Also what size are the Trim Planes?

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, i took it off last year and tried to run power to it - seemed like it was not kicking. i just ordered smart tabs, will see how they perform, i have 30 days to return from iboats :)

Thalasso

Commander

Absolutely no question as to what brand to get. Bennetts are better along with customer support

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Absolutely no question as to what brand to get. Bennetts are better along with customer support

Have you had occasion to use both? Did you contact customer service with both? I' don't mean to be disagreeable but I have had a good experience with Smart Tabs and their customer service. As for Bennett's: I can't say. Never used them nor have I ever spoken to their customer service. All I really know about Bennett's is their reputation, which is very good.

Thalasso

Commander

Yes i have (ST1290-80 tabs) on a 21’ pro-line w/a.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have installed both (and Lenco's and Eddie Marine's). I have only needed service for Bennett and Smart Tabs. Bennett I was long out of warranty and they still sent me free parts, and that was before I knew Tabman from here. Smart Tabs (Nauticus) I needed help with a mount issue which happened to be a bad part and they solved it immediately. That was within two weeks of install, so well within warranty.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about price for bennett?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

I guess it is time for me to hop in since the original question was looking for a recommendation between the Bennett Self Leveling Tabs and Smart Tabs. As you may suspect we feel we have the best system of this type. In addition we feel that the performance results are enhanced dramatically because Smart Tabs can be fine tuned to suite the specific boat. This may seem unnecessary when you are simply trying to get on plane quicker, however that is not the case, as we have learned over the last 14 years.

Let me tell you about a phone call I received just a few hours ago, which is quite common. A fellow called to discuss the adjustments he should make to his newly installed Smart Tabs. He was delighted that the boat no longer porpoised, and that it allowed him to run smooth and clean through moderate chop at 40 MPH, but he was not satisfied with the fact that he had lost 5 to 6 MPH at the top speed. The boat is a 20’ 210 HP I/O open bow late model boat. When he ordered the Smart Tabs the retailers application chart did not differentiate between a 210 HP I/O (6 Cyl.) and a 210 HP Outboard. He purchased the SX9510-80 which is not what he should have. Our “Smart Choice APP” (product selector) and our application charts show that his boat should use the SX9510-60.

The difference is 20 Lb load per actuator for a total of 40Lb which seems insignificant considering the boat weight is in excess of 2500 lbs. It is not insignificant as he found with the loss of top speed. We provide actuators with 7 load ratings ranging from 20Lb to 90Lb and then have five pressure adjustments on the plate for each load rating. If only two or three actuator could provide the correct balance and best possible performance we would be happy to reduce our inventory, but they cannot.

For this customer our first recommendation was simply to adjust the pressure by moving the actuator mounting from position 3 down to position 1. He regained his top speed, and retained the ride and control as well as the nearly instant time to plane (hole shot). Too much stern lift at cruising or top speed will not only reduce the maximum speed but, create bow steering, and a tendency to list to port (left) and a loss of fuel economy.
The other advantage to having these adjustment capabilities is leveling the boat port to starboard when you have a “permanent” weight / balance issue. The use of a kicker motor mounted to one side of the primary motor would be a good example. The actuator adjustment can compensate for the list by making one side stronger than the other.

Side to side control is not available from the helm, but some control is achieved automatically in a similar manner as you would experience from the suspension system in your car. If maximum port to starboard control is desired then helm controlled trim tabs are the option.

The key difference between the Bennett SLT system and the Smart Tabs system is the difference between a coil spring reaction and the nitrogen gas pneumatic technology. “Spring” tension starts out low and builds as it is compressed so that maximum resistance / lift is achieved when the plates are fully retracted and the boat is on plain. The nitrogen gas actuator achieves maximum resistance before and during the compression cycle, and is reduced to the specific load rating (ie: 60Lbs) when compression stops (Tabs Up). In other words Smart Tabs provide more lift during the “hole shot” and less once on plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Excellent post John. Thank you.