Best Pontoon Tube

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm at the point where I have to decide on what kind of tube to get for my boat. I have a 24' with a 90 hp on the back and the number of passengers will vary quite a bit of course. I know I want to get a tube but i'm not sure what kind. I always see the normal lay down tubes but i'd love to get one with some excitement where you stand up and hold the ropes to steer. What are your thoughts and types of tubes you pull? Thanks

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best Pontoon Tube

I have had three different types of tubes and have been pleased with the quality on all three. Above all I would recommend staying away from any tube with a hole (seating area) in the middle. This merely serves as an anchor and is generally too small to be comfortable. I enjoy the big flat tubes and for children I like the airhead that is flat with a backrest for the smaller children. I own Airhead and O'Brien brand tubes and have been pleased. I am not familiar with the stand up tubes you are speaking about but sounds a little dangerous to me. Maybe someone else has some experience to offer. I would recommend driving the boat in an S fashion in order to give your riders a little fun. I have a 26' pontoon with a 115hp and this is how I entertain my tubers. I also utilize other boats wake in order to give the older ones a thrill. Have fun.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

People have posted about those tubes that you sit down inside of being problematic. One had one bend his tower when the tuber fell off and the tube went airborne. Then upon entering the water upside down, it scoped up the water and instantly became like an anchor and jerked the boat bad, bending his tower. Just an FYI.

Here in NY, some bad things have happened tubing that people should be aware of. A kid was killed tubing when another boater failed to yield and ran over the tow line resulting in the kid/on tube slamming into the crossing boat. Some say the towing line was longer than usual(100') but of course the crossing boater should have been more careful.

Once a jet skier was playing/jumping on other boat's wakes. He miscalculated and slammed into the side of a very large tour boat.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I spoke about other boats wake, I was speaking of waves formed on the lake. I would never recommend anyone to follow behind a boat and cross a wake close. My favorite is when two wakes from opposite direction collide. I take full advantage of those. Once again, this is long after a boat has gone by. Always follow the rules of the body of water and be safe.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, I know Malibu. .... I just threw that story in as a general fwiw . Sometimes others can learn from others mistakes.

Here, some of the tour boats throw good size wakes and they attract PWCs.

The Rooster

Ensign

I'll tell you "Cubby", it's hard to beat the "Gyro tube" for entertaining a single rider. It's shaped like a bullet, and 1 rider crawls inside and holds onto a handle. It's clear of course, and will spin 360 degrees while being towed. Covers down to the waist approx. when you're holding on inside w/ arms fully extended. Rider is protected from the water outside, but you need to warn taller female riders that bikini bottoms may come off during the ride !!! :eek: Good luck !!!

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the general info as I believe others will learn vicariously through these forums. I do not think you can ever learn too much. Thank you for the post. :) I just realized after reading your post that a newbie might take my post wrong. It is amazing the amount of people that do not know the rules, safety precautions necessary or choose to ignore them.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is a warning required Rooster??? Sounds like my kind of tube! :encouragement:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

We've had a couple of terrible accidents close by on tubes. In both cases, the ropes broke and the tubers broadsided boat docks.

Our neighbor's daughter was in the hospital for months, and was never the same person.

There's no substitute for having a very substantial rope on a tube. And a 65' rope should be more than sufficient for most people's needs. Tubes can double the speed of the boat in a tight turn, and the pressure put on the rope is incredible.

We've had a couple of terrible accidents close by on tubes. In both cases, the ropes broke and the tubers broadsided boat docks.

Our neighbor's daughter was in the hospital for months, and was never the same person.

There's no substitute for having a very substantial rope on a tube. And a 65' rope should be more than sufficient for most people's needs. Tubes can double the speed of the boat in a tight turn, and the pressure put on the rope is incredible.

I have seen a tow rope snap and chip the gel coat on the back of the boat. Luckily the piece that went towards the tube did not hit the tube or rider.

JeepinGunGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HO Sports Tubes
HO makes some great tubes. Sadly my favorite the dragon is no longer made. With you having an under powered barge I would recommend looking into something like a black ice tube they have a smaller contact area with the water making them easier to whip over the wake with a larger size tube. I have the Sportsstuff hydroplane1 stand up and it's ok but the kid?s loose interest in it very quickly, if you?re not standing it gets old fast. Have fun and be safe.

Haerterich

Cadet

My primary tube is a flat deck tube. Works great for most people. Went with a 3-person tube so there is plenty of room. Great all-around tube for kids and adults. I wanted to get a little crazy so we got the Poparazzi tube. You can stand, sit, kneel, whatever. Problem is that it is a pain in the butt to haul around. So i usually just bring the flat one.

I also picked up the bungee tube tow rope. I would highly recommend. What i like about it is how it absorbs those sudden jerks when you change direction and lose tightness on the tube. It just seems to take that snap out of certain situations. Easier on the tube and your riders

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stay with the solid "Flat" type tube, and have fun. Set up rules and make sure you have a spotter as well as everyone knows hands signals so you can communicate from the boat to the rider. Most tubes have a print out of basic hand signal on the top of the tow-able so make sure everyone knows them, but if it doesn't make up your own, and you can even add to the "Vocabulary". Like my kids have a hand signal that tells me to make it wild and To throw them off. Also, for me when pulling the kids I try and give them a ride just to the point of where they "Could" come off but don't, not to wild, unless they signal me that, that is what they want.

Another option is a knee board, my kids like that as well since they can control their speed and jumps while I go straight at 18 mph and save some fuel, and dad doesn't have to take up space on the boat or take time to inflate/deflate the tow-able.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

We like an inflatable jet ski, It holds two and is fun to use, We have used it many times over the years and we put it with an 90 hp two stroke Merc. and a 24. 3 pontoon boat. It was really great behind our 230 hp I/O Bow Rider.