Making Domed lenses for instrument panel

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice
I recently ran into a solution for a boat refurbishing project that had me stumped. I had a horribly worn instrument panel for my 1963 Hydroswift. I was able to find all the parts I needed and make a passable nice instrument panel containing a compass and a speedometer. I was stopped cold on finding the clear plastic domed lenses though. I had two original lenses but they were so clouded over they were unusable. After searching all the normal places I found a small plastics manufacturer locally that passed this method on to me:

1. Use the original lens to make a form. I sprayed the lens with cooking spray of all things so it didn't stick. I used a metal container several inches larger than the lens and poured a mix made from plaster of Paris. I pressed the lens into the wet plaster and let it sit until the form had set up enough to hold the shape. I carefully remover the original lens and set it aside for further use on the project.

2. While the plaster was curing for the next several days I cut squares of plexiglass out about an inch larger than the diameter of the original lens.

3. Using my home oven I preheated it to 325 and placed the plaster form on a cooking sheet.

4. Once heated fully I placed a single square of plexiglass on the top of the plaster form and watched it through the oven window. Took between 3-5 minutes in my oven. Once the edges of the plastic curled a little I dipped the original lens into some cool water and carefully dried the original lens and immediately pressed it into the warm plexiglass square pushing it into the plaster form to make the domed shape.

5. I removed the form and all from the oven, and using oven mitts popped my new lens into cool water to hold the shape.

6. I made several to have a couple spares on hand. After they were cool and well hardened I traced out the circular size of the lens using that original lens again and using a rotary cutting tool (Dremel works great) I cut out the circular form and I had dome lenses!!!

Here is my disclaimer- Try at your own risk! I am most certain this is not the approved way of molding plastic but I have found it to be successful for me.

Good luck and be safe!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Making Domed lenses for instrument panel

Great DIY tip, thanks for sharing!
Would love to see pics of the process and the finished lenses...:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I recently ran into a solution for a boat refurbishing project that had me stumped. I had a horribly worn instrument panel for my 1963 Hydroswift. I was able to find all the parts I needed and make a passable nice instrument panel containing a compass and a speedometer. I was stopped cold on finding the clear plastic domed lenses though. I had two original lenses but they were so clouded over they were unusable. After searching all the normal places I found a small plastics manufacturer locally that passed this method on to me:

1. Use the original lens to make a form. I sprayed the lens with cooking spray of all things so it didn't stick. I used a metal container several inches larger than the lens and poured a mix made from plaster of Paris. I pressed the lens into the wet plaster and let it sit until the form had set up enough to hold the shape. I carefully remover the original lens and set it aside for further use on the project.

2. While the plaster was curing for the next several days I cut squares of plexiglass out about an inch larger than the diameter of the original lens.

3. Using my home oven I preheated it to 325 and placed the plaster form on a cooking sheet.

4. Once heated fully I placed a single square of plexiglass on the top of the plaster form and watched it through the oven window. Took between 3-5 minutes in my oven. Once the edges of the plastic curled a little I dipped the original lens into some cool water and carefully dried the original lens and immediately pressed it into the warm plexiglass square pushing it into the plaster form to make the domed shape.

5. I removed the form and all from the oven, and using oven mitts popped my new lens into cool water to hold the shape.

6. I made several to have a couple spares on hand. After they were cool and well hardened I traced out the circular size of the lens using that original lens again and using a rotary cutting tool (Dremel works great) I cut out the circular form and I had dome lenses!!!

Here is my disclaimer- Try at your own risk! I am most certain this is not the approved way of molding plastic but I have found it to be successful for me.

Good luck and be safe!

I always enjoy reading things like this. Even though I have no present need for a domed lens, I now have an idea how to make one if I ever do need one... Thanks for the DIY post... :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Would love to see pics of the process and the finished lenses...:)
Yep

I always enjoy reading things like this. Even though I have no present need for a domed lens, I now have an idea how to make one if I ever do need one...
Yep

Thanks for the write up.

Plaster mold was a great idea, did you have any cracking as it dried?

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice

IMAG0131.jpgIMAG0324.jpgIMAG0221.jpgIMAG0222.jpg

Pics from beginning, mold I used and final products. I didn't have any problem with cracking but I had to watch the heating stage closely because the plexiglass wanted to turn a milky color if I waited too long.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

proof is in the puddin'!

Thanks for taking the time to share that!

I have a satellite stern light that I'd like to refurbish...I wonder if this technique would apply.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks, for the pics... they came out great!

Decker83

Commander

Those turned out excellent..:clap2:

And like the others have said, Thanks for the great tips..:high5:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very creative thinking and innovative methods. Thanks for sharing!!!! I really like seeing how "Problem Solvers" get the job done!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I too have to say you did a very nice job refurbishing those gauges and a very creative idea as well... That IS what I like about these forum pages... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated. I am hoping to have a boat on the water in a week!