Modifying Bimini Top

fzr2010

Recruit
Bought Westland Bimini for my new Glastron GT160 Collectors edition. Can't say for sure whose fault; but I ended up with the 46" tall (wayyyy to big) instead of the 36" I thought I ordered. Can I just cut 10" off the end of the main bow/pole? Looks like that would do the trick?? THANKS for any advice!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Modifying Bimini Top

I have cut many top poles down, up to about 6 inches, not sure about 10" though. As long as the bows open up far enough to keep the top taut I would not see any problem. I had to cut 6" off of my top, cut the main pole where it attatches to the gunwale. Just reattched the plastic end with a pop rivet same as the factory did and mine has never been an issue. You might consider using a rail on your gunwale so
you have the ability to slide the top forwards and backwards, I did that and it has been quite usefull.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

101_0006.jpgfathers day and vacation 064resized.jpg100_6202.JPGiboats Chrysler.jpg

While a too tall bimini does not shade sun as well, there are advantages to being able to stand and move freely under it. Mine are all taller than you would expect.

You can always add back what you cut, but not as easily as cutting it. You really should try if for at least a couple of good, sunny days before deciding to cut it down.

fzr2010

Recruit

I have cut many top poles down, up to about 6 inches, not sure about 10" though. As long as the bows open up far enough to keep the top taut I would not see any problem. I had to cut 6" off of my top, cut the main pole where it attatches to the gunwale. Just reattched the plastic end with a pop rivet same as the factory did and mine has never been an issue. You might consider using a rail on your gunwale so
you have the ability to slide the top forwards and backwards, I did that and it has been quite usefull.

My thoughts exactly AND mine is attached with a screw (main pole @ gunwale) so easy to put back on! Thanks for the replies Guys! Hey Chief, I am originally from Youngstown O.H.I.O.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

My thoughts exactly AND mine is attached with a screw (main pole @ gunwale) so easy to put back on! Thanks for the replies Guys! Hey Chief, I am originally from Youngstown O.H.I.O.

Left Hubbard Ohio LONG ago. Who needs ice & snow as it makes fishing tough?