Ford 302 Motor swap

Gordon88

Cadet
Hello,
Okay so i bought this 1990 302 ford car eng. to swap out of a 1977 cobalt, the issues i have ran into are harmonic balancer, distributor, flywheel/flexplate, and serpintine belt to v belt.

The distributors i have have under control for most part any extra info could be helpful. What i have tried to do is take an older motor with flat tap lifters and such and have tried converting the parts needed on to the 1990 302 block with the roller can and lifters, everything was going smooth until i noticed the harmonic balancers were different from eachother and the 1970's model will not work on the 1990s so i looked into just making the v pulley fit the 1990s balancer and it causes the pulley to be out of alignment with the rest, also the older model is 3bolt the earlier model is 4bolt pulley.

And i was also needing info for the flex plate, would it work on the 1990 302 or am i going to have to buy another?

"I was under the influence that the intake, carb, and distributor would be the only things different"

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Ford 302 Motor swap

OMC powerplants don't use flex plates. They require a flywheel. If the 77 flywheel doesn't fit, you'll need to do some research. First thing you want to check is that the OMC coupler will in fact bolt up to the crankshaft of the 1990 motor.

Gordon88

Cadet

Yes the coupler will in fact bolt up my concern is will the flywheel damage this motor if its not in the specs for the crank or such???

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the 1990 omc flywheel is 0986304, where the 1977 parts book seems to give a Ford number - C3AZ-6375-J
hopefully they're the same.

Gordon88

Cadet

some info over at a ford truck forum about 302 flywheel changes around 1981- you need to go flywheel shopping it seems
302 flywheel confusion - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ok after looking over the forum that you posted above "Thank You so much by the way" I indeed have a 28oz flywheel and need a 50oz so ill look into this infor a little more and Thanks again for being helpful now at least i can drop the motor in the pos and start worrying about the other issues haha

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You need what amounts to a conversion flywheel. It is the smaller of the two sizes (like your original) but in 50 oz balance. You can also get a 50 oz front conversion damper that will let you use all your original peripherals, ie, pulleys, brackets, etc.

Both of these items were made because of the number of people putting roller cam motors in older cars and wanting to retain original transmissions and front pulleys and bracketry.

You will also need to install a fuel pump eccentric as your 90 motor didn't use a mechanical pump and you will want to use your steel front timing cover. When I did my conversion, I used a later model aluminum automotive cover (w/ fuel pump mounting point) and I played h*ll getting all the original brackets and pulleys to line up.

Summit or Jegs will have all that you need.

Gordon88

Cadet

You need what amounts to a conversion flywheel. It is the smaller of the two sizes (like your original) but in 50 oz balance. You can also get a 50 oz front conversion damper that will let you use all your original peripherals, ie, pulleys, brackets, etc.

Both of these items were made because of the number of people putting roller cam motors in older cars and wanting to retain original transmissions and front pulleys and bracketry.

You will also need to install a fuel pump eccentric as your 90 motor didn't use a mechanical pump and you will want to use your steel front timing cover. When I did my conversion, I used a later model aluminum automotive cover (w/ fuel pump mounting point) and I played h*ll getting all the original brackets and pulleys to line up.

Summit or Jegs will have all that you need.

I have already installed the eccentric and my original timing cover , Your Info was very helpful!!!

and if i have any ?'s on the conversion damper i can reach you hopefully?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.......and if i have any ?'s on the conversion damper i can reach you hopefully?

Sure, any time.

When you get the damper, cut your timing marks (TDC and 10 deg BTDC) into the damper with a hacksaw blade, then rough up the surface of the damper and spray it with a good paint, then mark your cuts with a white paint pen. If you don't, within a short time the damper ring will rust up thru the factory paint and you will play h*ll trying to find your timing marks. You'll see how fragile the factory timing scale marks are on the new damper.