BIA Plate missing

bassman1

Cadet
Does anyone know how I could get ahold of a BIA plate for a old Speedliner boat. I bought the bought midway through the guy redoing it and he lost all the plates. I mean ALL the plates, no serial number or anything. Boat is 18' long and about 82" wide. He thought it was rated for a 130 or 135. I wouldn't worry about it but I will be using it for fishing tournements and they require a BIA plate to show you are not over powered. I have a 125 Force on it now. Any info would be great. Thanks

bh357

Chief Petty Officer
Re: BIA Plate missing

Do you know approximately when the boat was built? If it was built before November 1, 1972, then the BIA capacity plate was not required. Someone else may have better input on the size of motor for that boat, but 125hp on an 18 footer does not sound unreasonable to me.<br />I'd be more worried about the lack of a serial number plate; might make it very difficult to register.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some have the serial # molded in the hull on the transom

bassman1

Cadet

The boat is an "84" and I already got it registered. They gave me a new number. Plus I had the old registration from when the other guy had it. What I need now is a BIA plate or a place to get one. Doesn't really matter to me if it is to this paticular boat as lon as it says for a 125, 130, or 135. Anything more and someone might question it, say if it says it is rated for a 175, that would sound fishy. Any help would be great. Thanks

Twidget

Commander

Maybe you could find a boat grave yard and get a plate off a similar sized boat?

bassman1

Cadet

Does anyone know of a boat grave yard around Nebraska? Thanks