changing 8" tires to 13" tires.

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a lightweight aluminum 14' boat. The trailer as given to me has tiny 4.8 x 8" wheels. I originally wanted to change over to 12" tires, but then I was wondering if there is any reason I cannot go up one more size to P165/80/13 trailer tires. Part of my current problem is that the boat sits so low to the ground, the skeg of my motor is only a few inches off the ground. I am pretty sure these tires are way too small for my trailer.

Thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: changing 8" tires to 13" tires.

Double post ????

GA_Boater

The tires are probably the size that came with the trailer. Get a transom saver/defloppenizer. It will allow you to lift and hold the motor off the ground. No sense buying tires/wheels to lift the motor. My 2 cents.

13" tires will only lift the trailer about 6 inches, still not much motor clearance going over speed bumps and inclines.

I personally hate 8" trailer wheels. At 55 mph, those little wheels are spinning at 1.3 million rpm's (ok, not quite, but it seems like it). They make any small bearing issue a big issue in no time at all.

Up-sizing will all depend on the trailer clearances. Most (but not all) trailers with 8" wheels can handle 12" wheels. Sometimes the fenders need to be moved up but its not generally a huge issue if you have basic fabrication skills. Going to 13" wheels presents more chance of fitment issues due to increased tire diameter and width. 13" trailer tires are significantly wider than 8" or 12" tires.

If I were you, I would go with 12" tires and a buy transom saver. Going too high will make retrieving your boat a huge pain.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

There's no reason not to go to 12 or even 13 inch wheels if that's what you want to do. You just need to make sure that you have adequate clearance so that the tires do not rub on fenders or make contact with the boat if you don't have fenders on your trailer.

GA_Boater

How far do you drive to get on the water? And high speed roads or low speed (<55 mph)?

Mi duckdown

Commander

Dockrat. what you should really Do, is post Pics of trailer/ boat set up.

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would really like to go to 13" wheels because I can get decent 13" tires much cheaper than I can get 12" trailer tires. But if it won't work I can get along without it.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

First I'd see if you can find 13 inch wheels that match the bolt patter of your hubs.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

First I'd see if you can find 13 inch wheels that match the bolt patter of your hubs.
He shouldn't have any trouble finding 13 inch wheels in either the four hole or five hole standard boat trailer pattern. A little searching on the internet will turn up numerous places to order them from.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

In looking at those pictures, I would replace those little 8" wheels with a minimum 12". Probably go with 13" if the price is right.

Most 5 bolt patterns are 4.5" Some are 5". Do "double check" bolt pattern spacing of existing axle before buying the 12" or 13" tires. Good template pattern is: http://www.trailercanada.com/pdf_documents/boltcircletemplate.pdf

Not too sure how heavy weight your trailer is. Will larger size 13" tires FLOAT your empty trailer in the water? Not to sure. Also... I didn't see fenders on your trailer. Many regions state that a trailer must have fenders - to stop flying stone. With larger size tire + finder, with is clear the underside of your boat? Something to think of. For me, I'd probably install 12" tires.

If wondering, I would upgrade to larger size tires - like 12" (assume bolt patterns is good). I'm not a fan of little high RPM spinning tires either. Hotter the hub = more water that suck in (when hot hubs are backed into cold water).

Hope this helps.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to consider in the future putting some kind of wheel well on that trailer. If you pull down gravel roads it will protect your boat. And I agree you shouldn't have no problem putting 13's on there.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like too much wheel and tire to me but I'm just following along to learn more on the subject.

dockrat100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dupe post, sorry.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Looks totally unsuitable to me. You need 12" tires and get some fenders on that rig as well.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Where's the Fenders,..??

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You also need to extend the bunks out to the end of the transom.

If the 13's make it sit too high, you can put the axle on top of the springs. That will lower it about 2".

limitout

Banned

boat3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
boat2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
boat1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I do travel at highway speeds pretty often. The tires I have are pretty bad, and need replaced.

ok well, the only real problem would be the fender clearance and you don't have any fenders so then you have no issues with that and from the pictures you have a lot of clearance room to the frame so the extra width of the 13" tires should clear just fine.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work but if all you are worried about is the height you should first flip your axles to mount under the springs and not over them. that will give you about 2-3" of lift just with that and it costs you nothing so do that first, then decide if you still need bigger tires and rims.