Do I need to replace my shifter with a nissan shifter?

Doubles

Cadet
I've got a 2005 25 hp 2 stroke. Are there any other shifter I can use? What do I need to look at for compatibility?
Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do I need to replace my shifter with a nissan shifter?

Ahoy, Doubles.

:welcome:

You have a 25HP 2 stroke. . . ummm. . .what?

NissanUser18

Cadet

Doubles,

If you explained more we could help you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Probably you are asking if needing to replace shifter with same Nissan brand, nope, it could be Tohatsu, Mercury brands as long it's same HP matching part.

Happy Boating

Doubles

Cadet

Sorry about that. I wanted to move the shifter from the starboard gunnel to a center console. Looking for something small and lightweight, any suggestions?

pvanv

Admiral

You can mount the "side box shifter" on the side of the console (it is ambidextrous... you relocate the shift handle to the other side if mounting on the starboard side of the console, as on many RIBs), or you can install a "binnacle mount" shifter, which then requires a separate key switch and stop switch. Any dealer, including several on this forum -- including me) can help you if you want a binnacle throttle/shift control. For that matter, getting the Factory manual for the Tohatsu/Nissan shifter box will show you how to relocate the shifter arm to the other side of the "side mount" control box.

Doubles

Cadet

Thanks guys!!! I'm thinking about switching my Gheenoe from stick steering to center console. Given the narrow beam I think it would be nice to have a binnacle mounted shifter and it would look a little cleaner. But I don't think I can fork out the cash for a new one. I was gonna try and find something used that would work with the nissan.
Thanks again guys!!!