Ignition alarm

Boaterbob78

Recruit
Have a 88 thundercraft 162 regency with an evinrude 90hp v4 vro motor getting an ignition alarm that beeps almost immediately after motor is started and increases beeps when motor is tached up faster reved faster the beep and after about 10 to 15 minutes it stays on constantly tell tale is spitting out water and motor seems to run great doesn't appear to be over heating any recommendations I don't have manual for boat or motor

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Ignition alarm

The Three Most Common causes of an Engine Alarm, And Not all Engines have all Three are ...

1. High Engine Temperature. Not Likely Immediately after Starting.
2. Low Oil Pressure. Do you know what it is?
3. Low Drive Lube Level. Have you checked it?

Operating the engine in an Alarm Condition for 15 minutes is NOT recommended.

Boaterbob78

Recruit

The Three Most Common causes of an Engine Alarm, And Not all Engines have all Three are ...

1. High Engine Temperature. Not Likely Immediately after Starting.
2. Low Oil Pressure. Do you know what it is?
3. Low Drive Lube Level. Have you checked it?

Operating the engine in an Alarm Condition for 15 minutes is NOT recommended.

I checked drive lube is full how do you check for oil pressure or is there oil in engine it is a 2 cycle sorry I am a rookie boater thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is no oil pressure alarm on a VRO engine. There is, however a low oil level (in the tank) alarm and an alarm if the VRO is not functioning correctly.

So, first check the tank to see that it is not close to empty. If it has sufficient oil, run the engine on 50-1 premix using TCW-3 rated oil until you can diagnose and correct the problem. At least, that way you KNOW that the engine is getting sufficient lubrication.