will not crank in neutral

anthony31794

Cadet
I have an 88 welcraft 190 classic with a 3.0. I can crank the engine if I put shifter in forward and cross out the starter.The second I try to go to neutral engine dies..any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: will not crank in neutral

Any work been done on the boat lately? Sounds like you may have some wires mixed up/unhooked or something.

Don S

I have an 88 welcraft 190 classic with a 3.0. I can crank the engine if I put shifter in forward and cross out the starter

Does that mean it won't crank if you "cross the starter" with it in neutral?

anthony31794

Cadet

I replaced points with aftermarket hei..And i have not tried to crank it with the boat in neutral and crossing out the starter..I figure it would crank.because it turns over fine in neutral.

anthony31794

Cadet

Just went and try to crank engine in neutral and no go..any more thoughts?

Don S

I figure it would crank.because it turns over fine in neutral.

I think terminology is getting in the way. Cranking and turning over is the same thing. The starter is cranking the engine over.

Starting and running is what the engine does when you let off the starter and the crankshaft keeps spinning.

Also when you say crossing the starter, what does that mean? Which terminals are you jumping between?

What aftermarket HEI did you install? Be specific.

Sooooooo, is your problem that it cranks over fine in neutral and it doesn't start?

anthony31794

Cadet

ok sorry bout that..It turns over fine in neutral but will not crank..but if i cross out the starter with the boat in gear it will turn over and crank.but the second I try to put the shifter in neutral it wont idle. And i am touching the bolts on the back of the starter..also the hei kit is a per-lux ignitor.

Don S

ok sorry bout that..It turns over fine in neutral but will not crank..

No, it is cranking, it won't START

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power to the positive (+) terminal of the coil

Don S

They aren't bolts, they are terminals. Big difference. Which terminals A,B,C,D.

attachment.php

Don S

What aftermarket HEI did you install? Be specific

anthony31794

Cadet

per-lux model number1144a and1162 a it has 2 numbers on it for delco 4 and 6 cylinders. I checked the coil and it has power to the + post with the key in the run position..while i was there i checked - side it also had power(?).

Don S

per-lux model number1144a and1162 a it has 2 numbers on it for delco 4 and 6 cylinders. I checked the coil and it has power to the + post with the key in the run position..while i was there i checked - side it also had power(?).
Never heard of that one before, is it a marine distributor?

Pull the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap, hold the wire 3/8 to 1/2" from a good ground and see if you have a bright blue/white spark that snaps across the gap.

Also see if you have voltage to the + terminal of the coil while the engine is cranking.

anthony31794

Cadet

spark seemed a little yellow too me..Also I checked and I do have voltage when cranking.