Engine Smokes and puts out an oily sheen

eyes4u

Seaman
I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I have a 1991 Evinrude 150 VRO motor. When I start it it smokes like crazy, and it leaves a sheen on the water. This issue is not just at first start-up of the season. I know that burning out fogging oil can be a mess. This persists every time I use the boat. The boat does sometimes foul plugs, and does not always idol very well, but runs strong when under power. The more throttle the better!

Secondly, and possibly related, I use a fogging oil when I put the engine away for the season. When I went out to work on the boat this spring, there was a black streak of sticky, oily junk running down the lower unit, that started at the powerhead. Any idea if I have a problem, or if I am doing something wrong? Are there any adjustments I can make?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Smokes and puts out an oily sheen

Is the mtr running hot enough at idle ?? Thermos working ??

eyes4u

Seaman

I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I have a 1991 Evinrude 150 VRO motor. When I start it it smokes like crazy, and it leaves a sheen on the water. This issue is not just at first start-up of the season. I know that burning out fogging oil can be a mess. This persists every time I use the boat. The boat does sometimes foul plugs, and does not always idol very well, but runs strong when under power. The more throttle the better!

Secondly, and possibly related, I use a fogging oil when I put the engine away for the season. When I went out to work on the boat this spring, there was a black streak of sticky, oily junk running down the lower unit, that started at the powerhead. Any idea if I have a problem, or if I am doing something wrong? Are there any adjustments I can make?

After reading other similar threads, I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the VRO?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No......the only way a vro uses to much oil is because of an air leak or restriction in the fuel system.

eyes4u

Seaman

I did have a crack in my primer bulb. Maybe that was the deal.