Mercruiser 4.3 Carb Change

skeffington

Seaman
I'm just getting ready to change my carb on my 1994 MerCruiser 4.3 lx to a Edelbrock 1409, because the stock Weber is very hard to start. My question is on my stock carb there is no fuel pump vent but on the Edelbrock there is, do I need to run a vent on the Edelbrock? Also do I need to set my timing after changing my carb? I'm very new to carbs and just trying to figure it all out.

When I wire my electric choke, there is a solid purple wire and a black wire right by the carburetor. The purple wire is switched, I assume I can just use those two wires correct?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 Carb Change

I'm just getting ready to change my carb on my 1994 MerCruiser 4.3 lx to a Edelbrock 1409, because the stock Weber is very hard to start. My question is on my stock carb there is no fuel pump vent but on the Edelbrock there is, do I need to run a vent on the Edelbrock? Also do I need to set my timing after changing my carb? I'm very new to carbs and just trying to figure it all out.

When I wire my electric choke, there is a solid purple wire and a black wire right by the carburetor. The purple wire is switched, I assume I can just use those two wires correct?

Thanks

Ayuh,.... If ya got an electric fuel pump, just cap the port on the carb,...

'n, Ya, the purple wire powers the choke, 'n the black is ground,...

skeffington

Seaman

You have helped me countless times and I really appreciate it. Should I worry about timing my ignition, I don't have a timing light but I can get one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Timing doesn't change from 2 to 4 bbl carb. But you should have a timing light if you plan on working on your own engine.