2006 4 Stroke 2.5hp motor runs great for 20-30min, dies quickly, choke, pull, pull...

thegadget

Recruit
Hello everyone! :) I hope everyone is having a great day. I am at my wits end with this motor. I am about to give up and get another one. I have this motor on a 16' scanoe (square end). I have invested tons of hours on this motor, and I am still having issues with keeping it running.

Usually I will get about 15-30 min of run time out of this little engine before she croaks. I have

1. Cleaned the carb twice
  2. Wrapped the igition with heavy duty silicone wrap
  3. Replaced the water pump impeller (working perfect!)
  4. tried to adjust idle
  5. Repaired Prop
  6. added a much larger fuel filter (clear to see any baddies)
  7. Tried to take off the fuel cap after it dies, no suction noise.
  8. Brand new spark plug
  9. Tested spark on start, great
  10. Tested spark after it dies, great
  11. Still good compression

It doesn't burn any oil, and I have changed the oil when I first got it. Once it dies, I have to pull the choke out all the way. I can feel the engine try to start. I push it in, nothing. I pull it out again, it tries to start again. I keep pulling and wearing my self out, usually about 5-7 pulls, it starts running great again! Then usually 5-10 min or less it just dies again. If I run at half throttle it seems to last a little longer. Just before it dies at half throttle, I hear it miss, and gradually I feel it loosing power, losing rpm. I try to compensate, giving it more throttle, and it dies again in just a few secs. The carb is super clean, I took everything out, cleaned with a small wire and carb cleaner. It really seems to me that it isn't getting fuel, since I can choke it and it tries to run. We got about a mile out today, and it died on us about 6 times on the way back. I want to say in advance, thank you for your time and consideration. This is killing me!!! :)

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2006 4 Stroke 2.5hp motor runs great for 20-30min, dies quickly, choke, pull, pul

It almost sounds like it is running too lean. ie; it is sucking in air at some point or,
There is an obstruction in the fuel valve from the tank or,
Carb float set too low.

Did this problem start after you installed the larger fuel filter and have you tried it with the fuel filter removed and running direct?

Did you examine the position of the E ring on the throttle jet?

Do you have the s/n of the engine?

Gerry