Been having thoughts about modifying a 19-21 footer

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
cuddy cabin. What if I gut the boat to the hull, then build a new cabin with 6' headroom rather than the typical 4-5' headroom. Would that really screw up the weight distribution and make it top heavy? increase the chances of roll over?<br /><br />Just wondering.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Been having thoughts about modifying a 19-21 footer

Depends on the width, but if you build it light, it may be okay. Heck, you look at those tall ugly express cruisers that are out now, they look like they should just fall over but they seem to do alright (even if they are ugly).

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The roll is going to depend how much glass is in the bottom, type of engine, size of fuel tanks.<br />Take a look at the Parker boats, with the little wheel house. They look like they would be top heavy, but are a very stable boat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

So making it light is the name-of-the-game. All the boat building websites I see build the cabins from plywood. What if I used styrofoam? Can easily carve styrofoam into the shape of the cabin I want with window and door cutouts, then glass it all over. Plus it will be foam filled for added strength and sound and temperature insulation. Sort of like surf boards. I would think that 2-3" thick cabin walls and roof would be rather strong. <br /><br />Trying to get a plan to build a larger boat without having to build the whole thing from scratch. I think if I could find a 1980's cuddy or similar that has good power, tanks, hull, floor, stringers, etc. It would save a lot of time and money over a build from scratch plan.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing I'll mention here too is the difference the height is going to make with the wind. The guy who had my boat before me took the top windshield off too redo it. Without that wind dam, the top speed was a few MPH greater and the handling characteristics at speed were also quite different. Not that you could see anymore, though. :D <br /><br />I can also tell you that trailering a boat that high (and mine sits high on the trailer too, unfortunately), especially with a decent crosswind, is nervewracking as well. I'd want to make sure when you add that "lightweight" extra foot or two in height that it was plenty sturdy enough to handle the wind forces at speed and trailering (if you plan on doing so). <br /><br />Just something else to consider in addtion to the rolling, weight distribution, etc, to think about. Sounds like it could be a cool project.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

O'Norse,<br /><br />Thanks for the input. More to think about. BTW, saw your website. Like that boat! <br /><br />I have a couple of other projects at home that need finishing before I can work on another boat. Like finishing off the basement. I stopped that project to finish the Niagara in the spring, and now I must get back to the basement. Have it half framed and need to get going. So I have plenty of time to think about the next boat. <br /><br />But that's not gonna stop me from keeping an eye out for a nice doner boat. <br /><br />Mark