Is CDI the cause of re-occurring regulator failure?

27E_20

Seaman
Hey guys,

A while back I posted this topic about how CDI told me that using a "Gel-Cell" battery could cause their rectifier/regulators to fail.

Engine: 1990 Johnson GT 200 (VJ200SLESE)

Since then I have:
  1. Purchased a standard marine cranking battery (sold the Optima).
  2. Sent the CDI rectifier/regulator BACK to CDI for testing (The CDI part worked for a little while, then resorted to pegging out the voltmeter).
  3. Received the same part, not a new one, back from CDI. Now the rectifier/regulator works intermittently (Sometimes it will charge at 14.4v with Tach readings, then nothing, then back to charging/tach reading, then nothing. But hey, at least it's not pegged out at max volts anymore)
  4. Purchased an original Johnson/Evinrude rectifier/regulator to replace the piece of crap CDI part (have not received/installed yet- p/n= 0583689)

While searching this forum for similar topics, I have come across a few posts regarding the quality of CDI parts and/or customer service. While considering my experience, they are always busy down there at CDI obviously for a reason: Their parts are substandard. I too, had to pretty much "jump through hoops" to get a status on my part/to get a person on the phone/to get any kind of idea of what the hell is going on.

With all of that said, what could potentially cause re-occurring rectifier/regulator failure in this engine (if not a bad part)? Another electrical component? FYI, I know it screams that there is something loose, but I have obsessive-compulsively ensured that ALL CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT!

-little help?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Is CDI the cause of re-occurring regulator failure?

Do you have wing nuts on the battery cables or stainless steel nuts and lockwashers per Johnson-Evinrude requirements?

I'm a little unsure how a gel-cell battery can cause the regulator to go bad, but those batteries need a special charging rate and an outboard regulator system is not sophisticated enough for them and may cause short battery life.

Another thing to check is the engine's cooling system. On those older motors, especially on jack plates or elevated on the transoms, sometimes air bubbles got trapped up near the top of the block where the regulator fins or posts are cooled. That caused hot spots in the regulators shortening their lives. The later model engines had the pressure relief valve up in that area to bleed off any air that accumulated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You are right, that engine has the large 35 amp charging system, with the vented flywheel. Those put out huge current back to the battery. Agree, if any of the battery cables are loose at the battery it can become a major problem. Probably best to use actual hex nuts and get them really tight.

any wiring short on the stator like a flywheel rubbing a wire can cause a problem but what i find interesting is you say that the volt meter goes from 14.4v to nothing. Is that nothing as in 12-13v or do you mean zero. If its zero you have a problem with the gauges which is either the power or the ground at the gauges. if nothing means it drops from 14.4 to 13v (wont go to 12 in a hurry unless theres a heavy load or a short) then it could be a faulty regulator.

27E_20

Seaman

Do you have wing nuts on the battery cables or stainless steel nuts and lockwashers per Johnson-Evinrude requirements?

Yes. Hex nut with lockwasher.

27E_20

Seaman

any wiring short on the stator like a flywheel rubbing a wire can cause a problem but what i find interesting is you say that the volt meter goes from 14.4v to nothing. Is that nothing as in 12-13v or do you mean zero. If its zero you have a problem with the gauges which is either the power or the ground at the gauges. if nothing means it drops from 14.4 to 13v (wont go to 12 in a hurry unless theres a heavy load or a short) then it could be a faulty regulator.

Sorry, I meant to say that the voltmeter drops to battery voltage, not zero. I agree, considering the issues I have already had with the part, I think it is probably bad.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its a bad rectifier/regulator...send it back and demand a replacement or refund. CDI's quality has dropped over the last couple of years since they started subletting manufacturing to outside sources. I use mainly Sierra and Mallory now as Sierra has a lifetime warranty and will pay me to replace it.....:joyous:

... CDI's quality has dropped over the last couple of years

That's too bad, CDI used to have a good reputation.

since they started subletting manufacturing to outside sources.

More than likely Chinese or Indian sweat shops. You'd think the bean counters that run these companies would realize that in the long run their cost cutting measures do more harm than good. Hopefully Mallory and Sierra won't fall into the same trap.

27E_20

Seaman

Its a bad rectifier/regulator...send it back and demand a replacement or refund. CDI's quality has dropped over the last couple of years since they started subletting manufacturing to outside sources. I use mainly Sierra and Mallory now as Sierra has a lifetime warranty and will pay me to replace it.....:joyous:

I sent it back once already, Im not going to deal with those people again. I tried to order a Mallory, but they were out of stock at a local shop here, then I found an OEM on ebay for $175. It is on its way. Not sure if that was the best decision, but the price was right.

Thanks for the advice!

27E_20

Seaman

That's too bad, CDI used to have a good reputation

Not to get off topic, but metric, I need to PM you about your dead GT-200. I could use some pointers from someone who has had the same engine as me.