Water in Engine compartment

jbdial1515

Recruit
Just obtained a 1984 stingray. Very clean, only 1 owner and 280 hours. Took out for the first time today. We were on the water for approx 5 hours. I had to use the bilge pump appox 3 times for maybe 15 seconds or so. Is this normal and if not, where could the water be coming from?

Thx
JB

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Water in Engine compartment

3 times over 5 hours? I wouldn't call that a lot, but it really depends on where is the water coming from? were you and your party in and out of the boat? then yeah I would think that would be fine, or if you never got into the water then yeah I would think it deserves to be looked into.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does that model have any coolers that are known to drain into the bilge that might explain it?

If not, time to start figuring out where it's coming from as it could mean some repairs are needed before the condition gets really bad.

I assume you trailer the boat so may start with making sure the bilge is completely dry, put the drain plug in and run it on muffs.
See if you're getting any water coming from the engine simply running under no load. If water is being left that way, try and get in there with a flashlight and your eyes to see where it's coming from.

Another thing to try is raising the front of the boat up on the trailer as high as possible, again with the drain plug in, then using a garden hose put water in the bilge and see from the outside if you find any coming out.

Can also back the boat into the water and leave it on the trailer and see if any water is getting in from just sitting there.

If you have a swim platform, any screws/bolts and also fatigue and may need to be sealed again.

Mark

cr2k

Captain

Ourboard? Sterndrive? Inboard? What can leak depends on what you have.
Raw water cooled or closed system.