Back (finally) for more advice

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I was a somewhat regular on this board in '07 until I received a kidney transplant. Still have the '77 GW 174 (Pacer) with the Mercruiser 470 that uses a Ford 230 (460 cut in half) engine. Now that I've finally recovered somewhat (physically and financially) from the surgery, I'm thinking about getting the boat running again. Sine the 470 has so many inherent and emergent problems, I'm looking at a repower with either a 4.3 or 5.0. First: aside from the obvious problems with the motor mounts, can I expect similar difficulties with the transom mount and gimbal alignment? Second: any opinions as to whether or not this is really a good idea? The transom and (from what I can tell) the stringers are still in good shape, but if the consensus is that I'd be wasting my money, I'll probably unload the '77 and go for something more reliable. Thanks in advance for any input.
Steve

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Back (finally) for more advice

Hey all,

I was a somewhat regular on this board in '07 until I received a kidney transplant. Still have the '77 GW 174 (Pacer) with the Mercruiser 470 that uses a Ford 230 (460 cut in half) engine. Now that I've finally recovered somewhat (physically and financially) from the surgery, I'm thinking about getting the boat running again. Sine the 470 has so many inherent and emergent problems, I'm looking at a repower with either a 4.3 or 5.0. First: aside from the obvious problems with the motor mounts, can I expect similar difficulties with the transom mount and gimbal alignment? Second: any opinions as to whether or not this is really a good idea? The transom and (from what I can tell) the stringers are still in good shape, but if the consensus is that I'd be wasting my money, I'll probably unload the '77 and go for something more reliable. Thanks in advance for any input.
Steve

Ayuh,.... Welcome Back,... There's a few 460 parts in Merc's 470s, but it's an All Merc motor,...

If ya can find a complete 4.3l/ alpha driveline to drop in, that's the Best, Easiest route,...
Look for a Rotten hull, with a Runnin' driveline,...

Pull yer Entire driveline, as swappin' Just the motor will be a major pain, with Alota "Gotcha's",...
The drive's ratio will work, so ya could keep it as a spare, or sell off All yer driveline, in parts, to pay for yer new driveline,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As it's a '77, it will have the old rear mount system (14" wide). Any 4.3 will have the 10" wide mounts, so that will cause serious problems. If you find a Mercruiser V8 from before 1983 (roughly), it will have the 14" rear mounts, so that will just drop on. You'll have a few minor issues with exhaust pipes and trim pump mounts, lower shift cable run and mount, but they should be able to be overcome.

Personally, I'd look at finding a COMPLETE (engine, transom plates, drive and instruments) 4.3 or V8 and doing a complete transplant. I'd first pull the 470 out, remove the transom plates and thoroughly check the hull out... You could probably part out the 470 for more than you'll pay for a nice V6/V8.. :D :D :D

Chris.........

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-o,
Thank you, sir. I knew I could depend on the fine folks here.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

achris, thank you for your advice, mate. One question, though...will I experience any weight/CG issues by going to a V8? On another note, I'm incredulous that ANYONE would want parts from the 470. That engine is such a "Rube Goldberg" monstrosity..:lol:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

achris, thank you for your advice, mate. One question, though...will I experience any weight/CG issues by going to a V8? On another note, I'm incredulous that ANYONE would want parts from the 470. That engine is such a "Rube Goldberg" monstrosity..:lol:

A V8 is going to be about 30kg heavier than a V6 (Merc don't put the mass spec in their website anymore :facepalm:). The V6 is about 70kg heavier than the 470... I can't see there being a CG problem....

As for parting out the 470... You'd be surprised how many people still run those engines.... and are desperately looking for parts..

Chris....

Bondo

Staff member

A V8 is going to be about 100kg heavier than a V6 (Merc don't put the mass spec in their website anymore :facepalm:). The V6 is about 50kg heavier than the 470... I can't see there being a CG problem....

As for parting out the 470... You'd be surprised how many people still run those engines....

Chris....

Ayuh,.... Lotsa folks still tryin' to keep 'em runnin',...

Folks with Twins, are especially kinda bound to 'em,... Major refit, widenin' the drives,...

That's why I said, yer parts may well pay for yer New driveline,..