HELP 79 evinrude crank bearing

tjsturton

Recruit
Hi, I'm new here but wasn't sure where ells to go for answers. I have a 79 evinrude 15 horse (15rl79e) that I scored for free the day before it got scrapped. Got it running very well but makes a scraping noise from under the flywheel. wobbled the flywheel and noticed a small amount of play. I thought this amount would be exceptable but got a second opinion from an ex-mercury tech and he said that was my problem. My question to anyone out there that has worked on these motors before is, are those upper crank bearing replaceable with out pulling the power head and splitting the case and going through all that extensive work? The guy that told me it was loose said some motors you can replace the bearing just by taking off the flywheel, popping out the seal and bam there you are? Please help me anyone that knows these motors!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP 79 evinrude crank bearing

You'll have to tear the mtr down to replace the upper brg. Pull the flywheel and take a look as to what you have.

tjsturton

Recruit

If im taking it all apart anyways it would probably be best to go ahead and replace all the crank bearings and piston rings too while im in there? Also do you know about how long the motor would run in that condition before itl start causing some serious internal damage?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best thing to do is take it apart and see what you find and how many $$$$ you want to spend and if the mtr is worth it. How's the water pump in it and was there any water in the gear case ??

tjsturton

Recruit

Good stream out the pee hole, no water in gearcase, good spark, sonic cleaned the carb, compression ok at 72# in each cyl, motor over all looks pretty clean. Im an automotive mechanic so whatever it needs il do myself i was just hoping i wouldnt have to put a bunch of hours in it.

tjsturton

Recruit

Thanks for your input. I pulled the little guy apart today to find that my LOWER crank bearing was all rusted up and nasty..top one seems ok. But I will be replacing both of them.....just in case you were wondering what came of it.