Mystery - Overheating under load Volvo 5.7 GS I tried everything!!!!!

Franky4Boats

Cadet
New Impeller, Thermostat and Thremostat Housing, Transom to pump hose, Risers / Manifolds and even the circukating pump, the water is flowing.

My engine sounds like it runs and it runs perfect, what could make it run up to 225 as soon as I hit it? It get hot slow continuously and cools off at the same rate. Unless I put it into neutral and run it up to like 1000 to 1500 and then it cools much faster. When I first start it it heats up much faster in the slip than the other motor and the risers get hotter faster.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mystery - Overheating under load Volvo 5.7 GS I tried everything!!!!!

Download item 1 in this link. VP.?/ 357328

Franky4Boats

Cadet

When you take everything apart and all the hoses and jackets are dry, should you prime it or can you just start is and let the pump fill everything up? Could their be air pockets or vacuum issues?

Franky4Boats

Cadet

I did everything on this list, could it be anything other than the raw water cooling system?

Don S

I did everything on this list, could it be anything other than the raw water cooling system?

What list?????? There is no list?

Franky4Boats

Cadet

Download item 1 in this link. VP.*/ 357328

This list of things you sent me to do...

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Download item 1 in this link. VP.*/ 357328

This list of things you sent me to do...

what was the result of each of the tests?

Franky4Boats

Cadet

what was the result of each of the tests?

How could I determine if the Head Gasket is the reason it is overheating? Would it run well and cool and seem fine at 12,000 RPM ifit had a blown headgasket?

I can run at 10K to 12K all day long and they stay cool as a cucumber. However any higher than 13K it starts to get hot fast. The tests prove that no air is getting in and no obstructions are blocking water. Could it be the Coil or points or Headgasket or anything else?

It does get hot faster than the other motor even at dock, whic is wierd. When running at 10K it seems to even run cooler than the other motor, then pump it up to 15 or 20 K and it starts to clinmb steady and slowly to 225 and 250 before I shut it down.

Franky4Boats

Cadet

When I removed the spark plugs to see if they looked steam cleaned I found one was broken in the center, the entire ceramic center section was gone below the threads. Would that make it overheat?

Don S

No, you didn't do everything in that document. I doubt you actually did any of them.

Look at pages 8 and 9 of the diagnostic file, the part with the leak down tester and the clear hoses on the thermostat housing.