replaced bearings - need advice

dough41

Cadet
While doing the usual maintenance for the summer on my boat and trailer. ( 18.5 ft Monterey 180m - single axle trailer with ez lube spindles). I decided to replace the bearing kits as they were 8 years old.Well being my stupid self- I punched out the cups etc and after replacing everything I pumped the grease in and wasnt sure how much as I thought the excess grease would come back out thru the front of the ez lube spindle, but I obviously pumped in too much as it didnt come back out the front but out through the back of the axle ...does this mean I ruined the inner seal and have to replace it? When I was spinning the hub pumping in the grease I thought it would come out the front by the zerk. Sorry for the poorly worded post but any help or thoughts? I guess I probably should get another inner seal and do it again? But not sure how to tell when theres enough grease since it didnt come back out the front of the ez lube spindle?

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: replaced bearings - need advice

If this is your system,
attachment.php

with new seals, properly seated, it can not come out the back.

If you're using a bearing buddy, with this system, then seal blowing will be the result. Only grease through the zerk on the spindle.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Re: replaced bearings - need advice

your rear seal should not have blown out,, if it did, put new ones on, only grease through the zerk,, i just installed a new Tie Down 3500lb axel to haul my 20ft cuddy.. greasing through the zerk worked as advertised,, make sure when you are injecting grease in the zerks that the tire is off the ground and spin the tire as you pump, it will push the old grease to the front,, it did in my case.. it worked,, rear seals are fine..