Trim problems

Adelaroze

Recruit
We have a monarch boat and an evinrude 70 engine. The trim won't go down. We tried the switch to lower it but nothin happens. We even tried to bleed it out but it didn't work either and I don't think it bled out all the way because when it stopped we tried shaking it a little bit more stuff came out then stopped again but it still didn't go down. we want to manually lower it. What do you guys suggest to do?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim problems

Here is what you do. Follow the two large wires from the pump motor to the place they connect in the engine pan. They will be a large blue and green wire. Disconnect it from the connector in the engine pan. Get some jumper wires. Place a jumper wire on a bolt on the engine (ground) and the other end on the blue wire. Put 12v to the green wire. If the pump is working, it should move the unit to the down position. Make sure the manual relief is closed. If you hear the motor working and the unit won't go down. You either have air or the engine is mechanically jammed in the up position. You may have a friend pull down on the lower part of the engine to get it moving if it is a little stuck.

If it moves it to the down position, then it is most likely a solenoid that is not working.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim problems

Sounds as if you "bled" off the oil that was in the reservoir, there is still oil under the piston that is holding the engine up. Have you tried the manual release valve? The engine is either locked in position because it has corrosion at the steering pin and will need to be freed up, or the motor is not functioning in the "down" mode and will not move the oil under the piston. Try jumping the motor directly as I mentioned before. Also, try the manual release. Look at the sides of the engine brackets for a hole that will show you a flathead screw (large) that has a clip around the inside of the hole it is in. If not found look at the back of the motor at the trim, you may find a manual release there. If the engine is frozen at the pins, I wouldn't lay odds on being able to use the manual release.