Yamaha Four Stroke - Which Oil Should Be Used In Florida???

templar33

Cadet
I purchased a used 2003 Yamaha F25 outboard and had it serviced before using it. They used a full synthetic oil when they changed the oil.

According to my owners manual it recommends a 10W-30 or a 10W-40 oil. I am presently running a 10W-30 full synthetic.

Yesterday I went into a Yamaha dealer here in the central Florida area (not going to mention any names) and they informed me that Yamaha now recommends using a 20W-50 for ALL of Florida's four stroke Yamaha outboards.

Is this true? I'd like to learn the truth of this before I purchase oil for my next change.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

templar33

Cadet
Re: Yamaha Four Stroke - Which Oil Should Be Used In Florida???

Hellooooooo? (echo, echo, echooooo) Anyone out there? Is there someone with some information on what oil to use in Florida four strokers?

kscheffl

Cadet

Mecury has the same recommendation. I live in Seattle in cool water and still run the heavy synthetic. As warm as Florida water is the 10/40 is too light.

templar33

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I will try the 20W-50 and see how it does.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the CAPE CORAL area for 12 years. All my cars, trucks and 4 stroke outboards have 20W-50 oil in them. Never had a lubrication problem. FRED

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The best place to get questions on lubrication is at BobIsTheOilGuy.com.

After reading the marine section there, it's obvious that many of the high hour, Florida commercial fishing boats with 4 stroke outboards are using 15W40 diesel oil--like Delo. It has formulations that are good for marine use, and the oils are very inexpensive.

The only thing is that you wouldn't use these oils on any catalytic converter motors.

My Yamaha F150 is running fine on diesel oil. I plan on switching to Mobil 1 after the engine is fully broke in.

Capt Ken

Commander

I have seen nothing come down from Yamaha that recommends anything heavier than 20w40 in any 4stroke and haven't seen any 10w50 listed in the oil catalogue.