difference for omc legs (stringer)

me and capri

Cadet
Hello, I have a question that I can't seem to locate an answwer for. What are the performance differeences btwn an omc stringer short profile leg and long profile leg? And what would be the issues if swapping from the longer style to shorter style Being that both legs are of same hp rating and roughly same years. Thanks. :joyous:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: difference for omc legs (stringer)

If you put a short where a hi-profile(long) leg was, the boat will not go on plane. The prop will just ventilate in the trough left by the hull of the boat. The prop will sit 4" too high rendering the propulsion inoperative.

me and capri

Cadet

If you put a short where a hi-profile(long) leg was, the boat will not go on plane. The prop will just ventilate in the trough left by the hull of the boat. The prop will sit 4" too high rendering the propulsion inoperative.

will that be true even with hydraulic trim tabs? I do know that the lower units can be swapped out, so I guess that's the better alternative.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Wish as you may, wish as you might, trim tabs are not made to correct a substantial O/D length/depth deficiency. If your boat was constructed to use the longer leg, then a shorter leg will not work.