No spark on one plug '65 fastwin

Clembo3

Recruit
Hi y'all,
An uncle of mine recently gave me and old 65 evinrude 18 hp fastwin (18502s). When I first got it, there was no spark. However, after I cleaned the points one plug would throw a spark but not the other. I tried switching the condensers, coils, plugs, and the slide-off part of the points between the working and non working sides and still... the same plug is not getting spark. I also used a multimeter to test the spark plug wires but I'm pretty sure they tested fine (if I tested right). Any idea what else it could be?

-Chris
Thanks in advance for any help at all!

kfa4303

Banned
Re: No spark on one plug '65 fastwin

Hi clembo3. Qelcome to iboats. It sounds like one of your ignition components have failed. I would samve yourself the hassle and just oder a new tune up kit for about $20. It will come with a new pair of points and condensers. Assuming the coils are not cracked, or scorched they're probably ok. Make sure you're using Champion J4C plugs with at least 50:1 fuel/oil mix. Here are some great links to help you get the motor up and running again. Holler if you get stuck.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967 (slightly different models than yours, but all of the steps are the same)
1965 Evinrude 18503 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The insulated portion of the points might be shot, grounding it. As stated, put in a new tune up kit. Are the coils original or replaced?

Clembo3

Recruit

Actually, I switched the working plugs wire to the non-working plugs coil and that wire worked so I'm assuming it was the spark plug wire. Ill find out in two days and let you guys know.

Clembo3

Recruit

Thank you both, btw! Musta forgot my manners

kfa4303

Banned

No problemo Clembo3. Be sure you get 7mm copper core spark pug wire rather than modern graphite core wires. NAPA and other auto parts stores poften carry it for a few $ a foot, ir you can get it from right here at iboats. When you install the new wires be sure you twist them on to the coil post rather than simply poking them in place. Holler if you get stuck.

Clembo3

Recruit

Thanks! Do you know if 8mm wire will work? I have some of that already

kfa4303

Banned

I think it will work as long as it fits into the coil opening. You'll want to snip one end flush then twist it onto the small copper pin in the recess of the coil such that the coil pierces the copper in the new spark plug wire.