Need Drain Plug Help On Sun Tracker

saturnsam

Recruit
New to forum and relatively new to pontoon boating. I would like to thank all the veteran boaters that share their knowledge and expertise here, it is great that you are willing to help folks out!

I have a 1999 21' Sun Tracker Fishing Barge that has water in the right pontoon and is listing on the hoist and riding really low in the water. I have been trying to remove the red drain plug on the right rear for a couple of days. The few times I lucked out and got a wrench on the plug, it just rounded the corners. Unless I am missing something, this plug placement is about as poor a design as I have seen. Called the company and that was not a whole lot of help. I am amazed that this plug is a foot or so inside the metal trim channel. If there is any GOOD way to get to this drain plug, I would really like to hear from you. Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks again for sharing your ideas and information. I have learned a lot in reading the various posts over the past few days.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Drain Plug Help On Sun Tracker

If it's metal can you drill it out then retap it for a smaller plug.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your speaking of the plug that is on TOP of the pontoon, between the deck and pontoon. It is used to air test the toon for leaks. I really don't understand why they put those plugs where you can't really get to them. I had a leak in my pontoon, it was a cracked weld where a couple of brackets that bolt the toon to the crossmembers. I had to drop the pontoon, take to weld shop for repair. I had them weld a fitting on the rear/bottom to drain in the future.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had one of the red plastic plugs that was bad, could not get a wrench on it. took about a 4 in. nail and forced it
through the top, used the nail like a T wrench and was able to remove the plug. Replaced plugs with galvi plugs
with a generous application of never seize. old jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Leave the top plastic one in and put one in the bottom rear of the log as suggested. A quick fix that I did on an older toon that I had was to drill a 1/2" hole about 1/2" above the bottom of the back of the log and inserted a rubber snap type bailer plug. This worked well for me for 5 years. But it would do the trick for you until you have a permanent threaded bung welded on. They will have to drill a hole before they install the fitting anyway..

Drill hole and use one of these.

bailer.jpg

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Not real sure which one you are speaking of-
On my Tracker there is a drain plug on back of the right toon just under the welded bracket for i guess transducer ect-
That it?

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

My plugs were 1/2 inch plastic changed them to Alumn. Both are below the water line in the rear.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 2012 Tracker doesn't have any drain plugs....

saturnsam

Recruit

I really appreciate the advice and good ideas! I actually have one of the rubber drain plugs that snap shut. That might be a quick fix for the short term which is what I really need. I will also check the rear end again for a plug, but all I have found so far is the red plastic plugs on the top of the pontoons. I am still trying to make sense of why they put plugs in such inaccessible spots. If they set out to find the worst location possible, they succeeded. I thank you for all the good suggestions and hope I get some more. You folks spending your time advising and sharing your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went thru this same scenario at beginning of season on my 25' Suntracker. One the 25' there are two toon compartments on each side. Had some water in back, got the plastic plug out, got water out (whole other thread on this.

Had the bright idea to remove plug on back of same side front compartment. WD-40'd it, wrenched it carefully. Snapped. Ended out usinh a heated bolt and rags to melt the broken %$&# plastic plug out enough so I could replace with anodized aluminum (from Jegs.com). Not touching the other side.

clarie

Recruit

I went thru this same scenario at beginning of season on my 25' Suntracker. One the 25' there are two toon compartments on each side. Had some water in back, got the plastic plug out, got water out (whole other thread on this.

Had the bright idea to remove plug on back of same side front compartment. WD-40'd it, wrenched it carefully. Snapped. Ended out usinh a heated bolt and rags to melt the broken %$&# plastic plug out enough so I could replace with anodized aluminum (from Jegs.com). Not touching the other side.

could you please tell me what size the air pressure plugs are

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clarie, They are 3/8" NPT.

I got mine from jegs.com, Order part number 100409