son nearly made me cry or maybe sand in eyes

just got back from graduation and my son was determined he was going to break the old man. He gave his mother a rose then said we was the best parents ever and gave me a big hug then stepped back and laughed. He said is was real close my eyes had started to go red. Wife was crying like a baby

Hes got marines training tomorrow morning then its home for his last family meal that he requested was steak and kidney pie then sunday i drop him off early at the marine center and hes off to boot camp. He's got a bet going with his mum that he will get real tears out of me sunday.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: son nearly made me cry or maybe sand in eyes

Oo-rah! He will be a changed young man when Parris Island get through with him.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations to you and your son. I learned that even big tough men can be sensitive and occasionally shed a tear when it comes to people (and pets) they love.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats to you and the Mrs. for raising a fine young man.

well just 5 more days and I get to pick up my son from boot camp. To any parent that is sending there kid there do yourself a favor and make sure that you teach them how to use a phone card and the correct way a letter has to be addressed :facepalm:. Ive learn a lot about my son since he has been gone. The fridge is full the elec bill has dropped 60$ and my wallet has money as no ones asking for $20 here and there. Ive also learnt what it fells like when you don't get to hear nothing for a few weeks then get a few lines that says hes having fun and they took the stiches out of his chin.......he never told us he had stiches to start with or how it happened :mad:. So on that thought im going to phone my dad and let him know that me and the family are doing well.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Glad to hear you get to pick your boy up Glenn, has he let you know what he is going to specialize in? anyway have a great time with him, before his is on to his Advanced training.

thanks MT hes going to do something on aircraft maintenance so hes going to based at the school in the pan handle of florida so hes not going to be that far away :)

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

just got back from graduation and my son was determined he was going to break the old man. He gave his mother a rose then said we was the best parents ever and gave me a big hug then stepped back and laughed. He said is was real close my eyes had started to go red. Wife was crying like a baby

Hes got marines training tomorrow morning then its home for his last family meal that he requested was steak and kidney pie then sunday i drop him off early at the marine center and hes off to boot camp. He's got a bet going with his mum that he will get real tears out of me sunday.

Congrats to your son, you and the wife. When Son left, he was a boy/young man. When he comes home, He will be a man, more mature, more level headed. This is a testament to the values that you have taught him.

Whether he does 1 term or a career, Thank him for me.

George

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many of us remember when we left home for the military ....... 40 years ago for me..... there were no cell phones or calling cards...... we wrote letters and used MASSIVE amounts of change or called collect.

I hope you son has the absolute time of his life!!! It's amazing on how the military can change people in such short time spans when we spend 18 years teaching them.

Yes, be proud Mom and Dad - you have the right to be.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

You can be very proud of him. You'll be surprised how tall he really is.

Semper Fi,

Tom B.
(LongLine)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

first time I seen my dad cry was when I was recalled for desert storm. up until than he was good about it and the fact I was in Artillery.

I went to pick my son up from basic and took him on a mini trip to Myrtle Beach before dropping him off in Virginia for AIT.

I know exactly what you mean about the fridge, elec and money. LOL I have two boys who are now on their own. People wonder how I can afford toys now days......

ezbtr

Commander

congrats!

blackhorse

Seaman Apprentice

The corps plans on 18% reenlistment. So relax, he will be back after one tour.

The corps plans on 18% reenlistment. So relax, he will be back after one tour.

lol hes got a long way to go before that. Just got him home for 10 days then its 27 days in combat training and 52 weeks in aviation maintenance school. Proud as hell that hes found something that he wants to do in life and he might not have got me to cry but dam hes made me smile. Im not sure what they teach them in boot camp but I swear that hes going to eat me out of house and home before the end of the week. Hes still a little squeaky when it comes to paying for anything like hes scared of spending his hard earned money when he can spend mine but I guess that will change when he starts to get weekend off. over a year ago me and the wife laughed when he came to us and told us that he was going to be a marine as we still looked at the little boy who didn't like spiders or being covered in mud. (we even had a bet that this wouldn't last 3 weeks). Friday we watched the same kid covered in blisters and beat to hell march across the parade ground with out bitching or complaining and we realized that for the first time our little boy in now a man (except at mca-wally world-dunking donuts then hes just a kid throwing stuff in the cart for me to pay for and I will be honest it doesn't upset me a bit to still find that im useful for something)

boat_beginner

Seaman

Joining the military is hands down the best decision a young adult can make. I believe it should be mandatory for everyone, physically able, to join the military, regardless of branch.
I've been outa the corps for almost 6 years now, and I am just as proud of my service to this country today as I was the day I graduated boot camp.
He will learn and experience many things that will only help make him more successful in life.