Help Need pros and cons on new boat purchase WHICH ONE????????

lookingforco

Cadet
17ft capehorn yamaha F115
17ft sea hunt yamaha 90
18ft may craft yamahaf115

They all have alumin trailers,s/s props. Going to be fishing in the gulf, mostly bottom fishing and some trolling, 3-5 people. Which one is going to require the least amount of maint., hold up the best and keep it's value? Anyone had any bad experiences with any of these? Suggestions??

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help Need pros and cons on new boat purchase WHICH ONE????????

If all in similar condition the order of my preference it would be:
17ft capehorn yamaha F115,
17ft capehorn yamaha F115 and

saumon

Lieutenant

You might also have a look at:

Edgewater 170CC (built like a tank and superior fit and finish)
Key West 1720CC (more "spartan" but great quality)

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Finding an EW can be difficult. Used are rare and generally sell quickly. I own one and would not ever look at another builder.

You might also have a look at:

Edgewater 170CC (built like a tank and superior fit and finish)
Key West 1720CC (more "spartan" but great quality)

saumon

Lieutenant

Finding an EW can be difficult. Used are rare and generally sell quickly. I own one and would not ever look at another builder.

I know used are rare. Same for the BW Outrage 17 like mine, but if the OP ever see one of theses, he'll know to jump, literally, on them. Clean BW, Edgewater or Everglades with new power are often bought sight unseen...There must be something there (hint: they were all designed by the same guy)!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

17ft sea hunt yamaha 90
18ft may craft yamahaf115

They all have alumin trailers,s/s props. Going to be fishing in the gulf, mostly bottom fishing and some trolling, 3-5 people. Which one is going to require the least amount of maint., hold up the best and keep it's value? Anyone had any bad experiences with any of these? Suggestions??

3-5 people fishing in the gulf in a 17' is tight (if they are adults). My 17' key west is rated for 4 (bay boat DC design)
also which hull--bay boat or deep v?
for that many people look at carolina skiff

are you buying new?

saumon

Lieutenant

3-5 people fishing in the gulf in a 17' is tight (if they are adults).

Agree. 2 fishing is comfortable, 3 is doable. 5 for cruising is OK. There's no way you could fish 5...

17ft. CC boats are awesome; easy to trailer, even with a mid-size SUV, fit in most garages, agile, easy to launch solo, cheap to operate, can run in 3 footers, etc. but, their major drawback is, they're only 17ft.!

lookingforco

Cadet

cape horn is a rolled side, almost looks capped deep v, loads of room and high sides.
may crest is a true rolled side, moderate height, they call any in this line a skiff under 19ft, also has a modified v that runs al the way to the back
sea hunt triton is a vee hull, capped boat. satin finish, 2 live wells. back lift up jump seats and lots of of other bells and whistles which take up lots of the moving around room, front deck mount cast seat

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

OK so it sounds like you are looking at deep V/high freeboard rather than a bay boat hull--good call (ironically bay boats aren't good in a bay). ALso sounds like you are studying hull design and features for seaworthiness and dry running (a very rare instance from boat shoppers on this forum!)
I have a sea hunt 21 triton and love it. It has good features for family use as you point out but good use of space.
If you don't want bow seating, look at Parker, one of the best fishing boats for coastal. But open with little seating.
If you are looking at old boats, see if you can find a Privateer or Seacraft. Good hulls.
For the same money and same HP you can go up 2' in a Carolina Skiff. They are dry, hold lots of people, great in the flats. Very stable fishing platform. Rig 'em how you want 'em.
speaking of which --while a flat, cathedral or semi-v would be better for skinny water where you are, at 17' it doesn't make that much difference, but some. That's where a bay boat comes in.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I saw an 18' may craft on the road yesterday--that is one sweet looking hull. Never noticed them before but your post got me thinking.

saumon

Lieutenant

I saw an 18' may craft on the road yesterday--that is one sweet looking hull. Never noticed them before but your post got me thinking.

HC, it look like you're a desperate case of the "2manyboats" syndrome...

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Add McKee Craft to your list. I had a McKee 17' Backwater 172. A 90 Yamaha powered her which was enough but a 115 would have been more fun. She saw nearshore to about 12 miles too. Although rated for 5, 4 was comfortable cruising the ICW. Mostly, just 2 of us fished, 3 at times. Not sure where you would fit 2 on the rear deck while trolling on any 17'er. If you think of fishing 4 or 5,,, best look for a 20' - 23'er. My current 21 states 9 passengers on the cap plate. Not sure where I would put them. 6 on a comfortable cruise and 5 trolling, 4 on a drift or anchor.

3-5 people fishing in the gulf in a 17' is tight (if they are adults). My 17' key west is rated for 4 (bay boat DC design)
also which hull--bay boat or deep v?
for that many people look at carolina skiff

are you buying new?