1993 25hp Evinrude Carb rebuild questions and advice (With Pictures)

dnk_usaf

Cadet
Hey Everyone,
So I decided to forego paying the grand that the mechanic quoted me to rebuild my carb and do it myself. Per a lot of advice from users on here, I'm going to take a lot of pictures and take my time, but I figured I'd open up a thread on here to keep running for when I run into problems that I can't figure out or just can't wrap my head around. Once again, thank you all for any advice you are willing to share. I really do appreciate the help.

On to the first question/problem I've run into (Pictures attached):

While assessing the situation and trying to figure out how to remove the carb, it looks like there are two main bolts holding it on, one on the right and one on the left. It looks like the one on the left is fairly accessible, but the one on the right is pretty well blocked by the starter. Is there some trick to getting at it without messing with the starter or do I need to remove the starter? If so, How do I remove it? I can't figure out where to start.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 25hp Evinrude Carb rebuild questions and advice (With Pictures)

I use flex or wobble extensions or modify wrenches for such things quite often, but you may have to pull the starter to gain clear access. I am not terribly familiar with that particular motor but it should be fairly straight forward to remove the starter. The big question is: Do you have a manual? If not I strongly suggest you get one.

dnk_usaf

Cadet

No, I don't.. That might be a good place to start..

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice one Cofe!

dnk_usaf

Cadet

Here is a post on how to remove the carb on that motor. Good luck

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...er-1992-elect-start-25hp-evinrude-404465.html

That thread helped a ton. Thanks a lot Cofe. I was able to get the starter off and remove the carb.

Now that I have it off and have it stripped down, I was wondering where to go from here. I guess the first question is, can I or should I strip it any further??

I've attached some pics of it as it sits now.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• DSC_0209.jpg
    DSC_0209.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0211.jpg
    DSC_0211.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0213.jpg
    DSC_0213.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a kit for the carb? Have you ever replaced a welch plug before? Do you have spray and/or liquid carb cleaner and access to compressed air?

Edit: I am going to assume you do and give you a few tips before I head out. You want to pop the welch plug out (pic 4) with a centre punch, then spray/soak the carb and poke a fine wire (I use a twist tie with the coating burnt off) through all holes, passages and jets. Blow out the whole works with compressed air and reassemble using new parts. I am not sure if the float is like the bigger motors and set so it is level with the carb body, but that will probably work fine anyway. I often reuse the carb base gasket if it is clean and undamaged, but if you have new use it. I use a thin skin of ultra gray RTV on any used gaskets, just to be sure. There is another thread in the FAQ on carb presets so once assembled scoot over there for the mixture screw etc setup.

And be careful not to over torque the carb to the crankcase. The tabs can crack and you will need a new carb.

dnk_usaf

Cadet

Do you have a kit for the carb? Have you ever replaced a welch plug before? Do you have spray and/or liquid carb cleaner and access to compressed air?

Yes, I do have a kit but I noticed that there are a lot of what seem to be extra parts and gaskets.. I was guessing that the kit is made for several different makes or carburetor, thus the extra parts. Is that right?

As for the welch plug, I'm not familiar with that term, so I'd have to say no. Is there something in particular I should know about?

Yes, I have a gallon of carb/parts cleaner and the main parts are soaking now. I also have an air compressor.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need to acquire a compressed air can, one intended for cleaning keyboards and electronics or similar. then you should locate the bronze(?) low speed jet on top of the car and the high speed jet located behind the drain plug in the bowl.
If they seem undamaged and air passes through the passages without revealed obstacles, then I don't suggest removing the jets or welch plugs just yet. Blow all different passages with air, also the one from the fuel line connector. If all seems fine I would continue further only if problems remain or the butterfly shaft has to replaced.
Install new needle valve, bowl gaskets (Do not forget the one in the middle) and float. EDIT: Ensure that you do not install the float upside down. Adjust the float and give it a try. If it did not help, then you should acquire a carburetor jet screw driver before trying to remove the jets. If you happen to strip the low speed jet with an imperfect tool you will be in trouble. In case of the high speed jet a new bowl can still be bought at a reasonable price. (I happen to know this.)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

There are some good vids on youtube on how to rekit an outboard carb. They will show how to remove and install a new welch plug. Looks like your doing a fine job. :)

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they seem undamaged and air passes through the passages without revealed obstacles, then I don't suggest removing the jets or welch plugs just yet.
If he has it off he should do it right. And in all my years I have never once had to buy a special screw driver for the jets. I just grind the edges off a cheap slotted screw driver to fit.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

The welch plug is the round cover on the side of the carb pictured in image #4. Cofe again gives good advice in suggesting you search YouTube for rebuild vids. I found this just now and it looks pretty good; for removing the welch plug. Take extreme care drilling the plug and use soft jaws in the vise. I don't use a drill myself, I use a fine, sharp centre punch and take care not to poke too far in. It usually pops out once deformed. Note the size of the punch he uses to install the plug. ~1/3 to 1/2 the diameter of the plug. Again, rinse and blow out thoroughly before reassembly.

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If he has it off he should do it right. And in all my years I have never once had to buy a special screw driver for the jets. I just grind the edges off a cheap slotted screw driver to fit.

Which means that you have just acquired one. :) Sure enough you can buy, loan, or manufacture one. But I would not chance removing the low speed jet without a proper tool, but a very well fitting screw driver should do. If an extractor or a machinist is unable to help with a stripped jet in the body, it will be a little hunt to find a replacement. Though they should be quite common in your part of the world?

Well enough, I've learned pretty versatile with my similar outboard and mounting carb and starter and testing fuel delivery and throttle for a test would not be that much of a problem at that point.