3.0 Mercruiser Replacement Engine Options

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the opportunity to pick up a mid 80's 18' open bow with a 3.0 Merc Alpha 1 that has a cracked block for a case of beer..

What are the options for replacement engines and/or what can I steal a short block out of to rebuild? I know that a lot of times you can get an engine from a car to use, but from the searching I have done on here, I read that there is not an automotive equivalent for the 3.0 Mercs?

I wish I had more info and specs/years, just want to see if its worth a little drive, and the cheap price tag..

I figure, even if everything else is junk, the outdrive has to be worth more than that just as parts. Ay?

Thanks for the help as always!

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser Replacement Engine Options

You can replace a 3.0 with a 3.0...no other options.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I figure, even if everything else is junk, the outdrive has to be worth more than that just as parts. Ay?

A used drive of unknown condition is worth little. Probably in the same shape as the engine.

Don't waste your money on an old boat with unknow rot condition, with a know cracked engine. You can also expect the manifold to be cracked too.

Probably cost you more to get rid of it as scrap, than you will ever get out of the drive.

Drink your case of beer, and buy a boat that runs, it's cheaper in the long run than letting your mind go crazy with ideas of cheap and easy repairs to get a junk boat working.

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went to look at it, it just popped a freeze plug. Did a compression check, all over 100psi and about 30% leakage.

It fires up with a bump of the key and idles great. Grinds a tiny bit into gear on the hose, needs adjustment?

Needs an interior but that stuff is fun to me. The hull is immaculate!!! A buffing and it will shine like a mirror. Need to get a few things taken care of and get it out on a water test.

It was pumping water when we tried starting it before I found the freeze plug, and it was gushing water good. I'm used to the Volvo penta, how long does it take for that thing to fill up before I should expect to see water coming out the drive? It's a 1989 Alpha 1 3.0.

Any other imp

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went to look at it, it just popped a freeze plug. Did a compression check, all over 100psi and about 30% leakage.

It fires up with a bump of the key and idles great. Grinds a tiny bit into gear on the hose, needs adjustment?

Needs an interior but that stuff is fun to me. The hull is immaculate!!! A buffing and it will shine like a mirror. Need to get a few things taken care of and get it out on a water test.

It was pumping water when we tried starting it before I found the freeze plug, and it was gushing water good. I'm used to the Volvo penta, how long does it take for that thing to fill up before I should expect to see water coming out the drive? It's a 1989 Alpha 1 3.0.

Any other important things to check? Gong to change all fluids, etc etc.

Is the belt drive pump the only one in this thing or is there an impeller somewhere? I can research that obviously.

Tallied up about $300 in Craig's list value of stuff in the boat. PDFs skis timing gun etc. and a nice trailer with guides to boot.

Good investment in my book. I'll get a pic up, can't figure out the brand of the hull it just says "Tara" on the side

Going to try googling the hull #

slag

Chief Petty Officer

It will grind going into gear. The mercs have dog clutches, not cone drives like volvos and so it grinds a bit and you hastily shove it into gear and engage it quickly. raw water impeller is in the lower part of the outdrive. Doral made a TARA boat in 1989 which is probably what you have.