1958 fast twin 18, where to mount fuel pump?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am converting my 58 18 hp rude electric start (fasttwin)to single line fuel tank, I drilled and tapped the bypass port cover for a 1/4 inch brass nipple. the problem is where to locate/mount the pump? I have the minkuni pump as it seemed the smallest and thin, but with the electric start & electric choke there is not allot of room for the fuel pump. Any Ideas / photos of this model that has been done would be most appreciated or any info on a smaller pump that may be available. just looking for options for a best set up thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1958 fast twin 18, where to mount fuel pump?

chris, any thoughts on a mikuni pump on a fastwin? will supply keep up with demand??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The Mikuni DF44, which is what most guys use, the rectangular one, will put out 14 liters/hours, or about 3.7 gallons per hour.

In theory, an 18hp motor would use about 1.8 gallons per hour at WOT. So, I would say it should be ok. Havent tried it on an 18hp myslef though. A QD is the biggest Ive used the DF44 on.

Let us know how it goes Kodi.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep I will, there is an write up on duckworth's site that says this type pump should be fine up to the bigtwins. but after I get it set up and going I'll report back.