Should I be able to hear the bilge pump if I turn the switch to manual?

bcnul8tr

Seaman
So I just got my boat back from having a new engine put into it, plus a full closed cooling system. I went on it while it is in my driveway, turned the batteries on, turned the ignition over to the acc key. I then proceeded to try out the bilge pump, but could not hear it working. Should I be able to turn it on manually and hear it trying to run? They re-positioned it before they put in the motor, and I don't think I can get to it, because of the closed cooling unit. But I should be able to hear it run, even if there is nothing in the bilge right?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I be able to hear the bilge pump if I turn the switch to manual?

I don't bcnur boat to know how close you can get to it, but if you are close enough to the bilge, you should be able to hear it humming.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

yeah, that is what I thought, I don't hear anything at all. I can barely see it in the bilge.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put your ear at the thru-hull. If you can't hear it you might feel some air blowing.

foodfisher

Captain

They're pretty quiet. I'm older and can't hear mine unless it's splashing water out.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fill the bilge with the water hose, then you'll know 100% if it's working or not.

UncleWillie

Captain

They are pretty quiet when running dry.
You should make sure it is working and not just humming.

Test it at the beginning of each season, and keep the bilge CLEAN!
Debris in the pump is the biggest cause of pumps not working when needed the most.

Put in the plug and stick a garden hose in the bilge.
It takes a lot of water to turn one on.
It will be over three inches deep when it finally kicks in. More than you might expect.
This will give you an idea of how how Fast (Slow?) the pump really works.
Shut off the garden hose because most pumps will not keep up.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Well, the good news is, it works on automatic mode, but not when I engage the button on the console. The Console button is getting power, so there must be a wire or something loose on the switch itself. I am wondering if I should just leave it for the season working that way, or try and find a way to actually get down to the pump.

NYBo

Admiral

I wouldn't give up manual operation. Start at the switch on the console and work your way back. Hopefully you'll find the problem before the wire disappears under the motor.