'73 Evinrude 115 - Fuel Delivery Problem - Best clamps to use?

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '73 Evinrude 115. I took it out for the first time this year a couple of weeks ago. I started it in the driveway to make sure it was running and I noticed that the primer bulb was extremely hard, so I replaced it with a new primer bulb that I had. The boat ran well at lower speeds but I couldn't get it up to full speed. And at WOT, it acted like it was starving for gas and would die. When it died, the primer bulb was definitely not full so I would pump it up and it would start right back up.

While I was out on the lake, I checked some of the hose connections and almost all of the hose clamps were loose?? It's been over 3 years since I rebuilt the carbs and installed new fuel lines so I'm thinking I might do it all again. Before I rebuild the carbs, I thought I would go through the fuel lines and either replace them or at a bare minimum, replace the clamps.

The fuel line is a 3/8" ID line. What is the best type of clamp to use?

Thanks!

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '73 Evinrude 115 - Fuel Delivery Problem - Best clamps to use?

Any appropriate size gear clamp will do. I would take a good look at the connectors as well. Maybe try a new fuel line?

jarthu1

Recruit

Might wanna check your fuel pump. Check out some snapper clamps for hose connections they seem to hold pretty well and you don't have to worry about getting over zealous with a gear clamp and cutting into your hoses.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The Bombardier snap clamps are the real deal. Cheap, easy to clamp. They won't cut into the hose the way the screw clamps do. Don't go for the ty-strap clamps.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the suggestions on the clamps. I'll check them out.

I thought I would give you an update on the starving gas situation explained in my first note in this thread. As I stated originally, I installed a new bulb before I went to the lake and it seemed to run fine in the driveway but ran terrible especially when I tried to open it up. I took the new primer bulb off that I installed and looked down the fuel line and this is what I saw.

May 2013 001 (2).jpg

That's amazing to me that it ran at all! This ethanol resistant fuel line that I used apparently has a plastic inner sleeve and when I put on the new bulb, that sleeve must have bunched up inside. I cut the hose back a few times but it looks like the entire inner sleeve is messed up.

May 2013 002 (2).jpg

Time for new fuel line! I'll spend a couple of extra bucks this time and try not to buy the cheap crap!

I wanted to post this because I'm sure a few of you will get a kick out of this and it might help someone else who is having a fuel delivery problem.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the gray Mercury fuel line which has been out since about 2004. We've seen a lot of it in this same condition when folks complained of running problems. The inner plastic liner degrades due to the ethanol, fractures and migrates down the fuel hose-where it collects by the connector. It's all bad stuff. Check out the Bombardier 2013 black fuel hose at their dealers. It's not cheap, but will be a huge improvement.