Fixing my worn Keel with Gel Coat

bensm2ba

Cadet
So I am going to fix a worn spot on my keel with Gel Coat and I have read multiple post and they all say to do three coats with the last one sprayed on. My plan was to brush on the first two coats (after properly preparing and cleaning the surface) and then spray on the last coat with a Preval Sprayer.

My question is how long do I have to wait between applying each coat? Also, any other pointers on the best way to do this? I also, read that I need to add wax to the last layer to help it cure what type of wax do I need to add? and how much?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fixing my worn Keel with Gel Coat

.5 oz of Surfacing wax per 16 oz (Pint) of Gelcoat.
Pics always help us to help you better. Is the gelcoat all the way down to the glass? How deep? Are you sure no additional Glass is needed? Pics will tell the tale.

bensm2ba

Cadet

Here are some pics. The damage is not to bad so i figured it would be an easy fix. I also want to put a keel guard on so with that said is a full repair even necessary? I know that the dock ding needs to be repaired before the keel guard can go on and that there is a deep scratch in the gel coat to the left of the beach rash that i dont think the keel guard will cover.

bensm2ba

Cadet

Though I would post a pick of the boat as well just so you could see what i am working on!
Boat Pic.jpg