Console & steering cable removal?

89avanti

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys I have an 89 Avanti I'm restoring and after I popped the cap I came into the problem of how to get the wiring out of the bottom of the boat. It's ran through a 1/2" ply with thin glass top channel molded into the deck and side of the hull. I put some pictures up. I'm cutting out the deck due to rot and the only way I can see to get the wiring out of the bottom of the boat and pulled up with the cap so I can cut is to cut through the channel. Any suggestions?

IMG_1257.jpgIMG_1256.jpgIMG_1254.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Console & steering cable removal?

First, forum rules and guidelines http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.htmlsuggest that you keep all your posts concerning your boat project in the same thread. It makes it much easier for the members to keep track of what's going on and not have to refer to multiple threads. To answer your question you are correct in your assumption that you will need to cut a slot in the box in order to remove the wiring. This will be easy enough to repair when the time comes.

89avanti

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Console & steering cable removal?

First, forum rules and guidelines http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.htmlsuggest that you keep all your posts concerning your boat project in the same thread. It makes it much easier for the members to keep track of what's going on and not have to refer to multiple threads. To answer your question you are correct in your assumption that you will need to cut a slot in the box in order to remove the wiring. This will be easy enough to repair when the time comes.

I apologize for breaking any rules. I thought this question would be better exposed and quickly answered as a new thread rather than buried in a 3+ page thread about my specific boat. However I do understand the reason for keeping stuff together.

Thanks for the answer to the question. I'm pleased to know my assumption was correct.