1964 9.5 hp high speed needle adjustment help

Imbrokeson

Recruit
I need to adjust the high and low speed needle on my 1964 evinrude but have never done so before. From what I understand, the screws are on the front of the carburetor (but I could be wrong). I read on a website that to adjust the needle you should crank it all the way down to where the motor will almost not run and go up from there. I'm wondering 1. if I'm right about where the needles are located (and if any one has a pic that'd be awesome) and 2. if I can just start adjusting the needle from where it sits now. Thanks in advance.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1964 9.5 hp high speed needle adjustment help

If your motor has a high speed needle valve, turn it in until it lightly seats, then back it out 1 full turn. Do the same with the low speed needle valve only back that one out 1 - 1/2 turns. Start the motor and adjust the low speed valve clockwise until the motor coughs a little, then back it out in small increments until you hear the motor smooth out. That should get you going, and you can fine tune it when it's on the water and pushing the boat.

Imbrokeson

Recruit

If your motor has a high speed needle valve, turn it in until it lightly seats, then back it out 1 full turn. Do the same with the low speed needle valve only back that one out 1 - 1/2 turns. Start the motor and adjust the low speed valve clockwise until the motor coughs a little, then back it out in small increments until you hear the motor smooth out. That should get you going, and you can fine tune it when it's on the water and pushing the boat.

Thanks buddy,

are are the needles pretty idiot proof to recognize?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

There should be a slow speed knob right on the front of the motor. I'm not really sure if that motor has a high speed needle valve or not. I'm thinking the high speed is a "fixed jet" and not adjustable. But, if there is one, it'll be right on the front of the motor probably below the low speed.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

The high speed is a fixed jet. At least on my '65 it is... He only has low speed adjustment.