Motor Detective Work. What motor is this from a pic?

Mercnewguy

Seaman
Hello everybody! I'm thinking about buying this motor but the guy doesn't have much information about it (not a boat guy and selling it for his uncle) and its over an hour away from me so I'm trying to get some information on it. I'm hoping someone can eyeball it and tell me what they think it is. Year. HP. Decent shape? Things to watch out for on these motors like problems etc etc. Thanks for looking and for all your help.

Attachments

• 100950185.jpg
    100950185.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100950186.jpg
    100950186.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Motor Detective Work. What motor is this from a pic?

It's a Full Gear Shift (FGS) model Inline Six, either 85 or 100 hp. Probably a '63 "850", since it appears to have originally been white. None of the early 100hp models were painted white, and in '64 both the 850 & "1000" models were black.

If you post a serial # it should help confirm the year. You'll find the metal info plate under the front middle of the lower cowling, riveted to the swivel bracket assy (part of the center section, which clamps to the boat).

HTH...........ed

Mercnewguy

Seaman

Thanks for your reply and your information. I will see if he can send me a picture of the plate. How much would you say this 50 year old motor is worth if it is running condition? Is it worth investing in this motor in your opinion? Thanks

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Early 1960s Merc. The shift and throttle is outside the cowling, the metal shiny bits on the top cowling and motor frame. The top cover is also early 1960s.

The serial number was on a plate riveted to the swivel bracket above and between the clamp screws. Look up serial number at www.oldmercs.com

My guess is a 1962 70HP.

Check compression, needs to be greater than 110PSI.
Check wiring, it probably is old and ratty.
I *think* ignition is points.
Parts are available.
Can't tell if that one has tilt/trim. if it does, it probably has wore out & leaky pistons. You'll want tilt/trim b/c that motor probably weigh 300LBS.

Don't pay much for it. That motor style was a Merc staple into the 1970s and 1980s. Plenty of them around $700-$1000 water ready.

Mercnewguy

Seaman

Thanks for your input calvinator. I've heard that all these old mercurys are essentially the same motors the only difference being slight design changes and different carbs? Is it true that most of the parts are pretty interchangeable? Starters, stators, control mod, wiring harness etc etc?