OMC cobra shift linkage binding

cmc2

Recruit
Hi All - I'm fixing up my first boat and I've run into a bit of an issue.

When I bought the boat in the fall the outdrive shifted ok in and out of both forward and reverse but didn't always go fully
into neutral from forward... If you spun the prop by hand you could hear a ticking as if the gears were touching a bit.

Since I had the outdrive off anyway, to replace seals and inspect gears, I decided to try to adjust the shift linkage. I followed the procedure I found on the net and with the outdrive loosely bolted in everything seemed to be fine; all shifted great in and out of all gears. Then when I tightened all the bolts down it would no longer go into forward. I've had the thing apart and back together a dozen times trying to figure out what is going on but I can't find anything.
If I tighten the bolts with the drive in forward it won't come out of forward... If I tighten the drive with it in neutral it won't go into forward. Reverse doesn't seem to be as problematic but I wouldn't call it reliable.
Any Ideas?
It's an '88 OMC cobra with a 350.

cmc2

Recruit
Re: OMC cobra shift linkage binding

Figured it out.... In case anyone is curious it was because the bellcrank was not pushed in all the way when I tightened it down the first time. Shifts perfectly now.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent. It's great your drive is working and it is good to have a resolution posted in a thread. It really helps.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Glad you posted an update:) Lots don't.