20k for a new boat

beanz2166

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So at the end of the year (sep or oct) we are going to try and unload our current boat and upgrade to a newer one. With so many options out there we are overwhelmed. There's a few things were set on and a few thing we would "like" to have. Here's my list so far
Must:
21' minimum
5.0L minimum
Swim platform
Bow rider or cuddy cabin
2005 or newer

Nice
Walk through transom
Head
All fiberglass floor

What are the pros and cons of a cuddy over bow rider and a conventional I/o over inboard or jet boat?

agallant80

Commander
Re: 20k for a new boat

I had a 21 foot stingray and loved it. Ended up upgrading for a cruiser because we wanted to spend weekends on the boat. The cuddy will give you some protection from the sun and if its not too hot or cold out you can sleep in there. Most people I know with a cuddy just end up letting junk collect in there and complain about not having an open bow. The open bow is great for having people on board and its nice to sit up there while zipping around the lake. As for I/O or outboard ther are a few things to consider. The outboard will make for a very smapp swim platform because the motor will be in the middle of it. The traid off is that you don't have bellows, gimble, alignment and what not to worry about, also because the motor is not in the boat the cockpit has potential to be larger just depends on how much you want the swim platform or not. Another + for the outboard is from what I think is true someone can correct me on this, they self drain so being able to use it on the nice 70 digree NC day in march knowing that it will drop back down to 28 at night the next week is not that big of a deal. If it was me and I was looking for a lake boat I would go for the outboard bow rider.

I still think this is one of the best deals out there. While not 21 feet for 18K + tax etc you have a new 19' boat with trailer. Look at Chatlee in Sanford, that is where I bought my stingray a few years ago. They were great.

http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/models13/195rx/rx_ad2.pdf

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as cuddy or bow rider, I guess it comes down to use. Personally, my brother had a cuddy and unless your going to do some overnighters, I would skip on it b/c his became a catch all and seemed to be a lot of wasted space.

As far as engine/outdrive setups this is what I've gathered:

I/O = best setup for me. I don't mind the extra maintenance compared to stern or jets, take up less room than stern/ vdrives, easier to dock and trailer (to me), seem to generally ride better in rough chop, and a little better top end when I get a break from the kiddos.

Stern = Less to break, i.e. little less maintenance and long term cost. Can't trim up so if you travel in shallow waters this could be problematic.

Jet = Can be really fun with twin setup, but they love fuel so be prepared. I used to have outboard pumps and I was always told that you lose about 30% power. Both this setup and stern drive get points for safety since everything is under the boat. I would say this would be a little more maintenance than the stern because you will need to check your grate every once in a while for debris. Like the stern if you travel in shallow/dirty waters, I may lean a little more to an I/O setup.

Good luck!

hostage

Lieutenant

If you want to take a lot of people out don't go with a cuddy. If you want to do camping, just you and your woman type of things, or bring only your kids and wife then it might be good for you. I like to have a lot of friends out and a cuddy is getting a little small. Right now 4 adults is comfortable, add a few kids and it gets small quick.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm a fan of bowriders for general lake or river fun if overnighting is not part of the plan. More useable seating space. We have a twin engine Yamaha jet and love it. I grew up on a Marlin I/O and it was great, too. Not much in the way of regular drive maintenance on the jets as there are no gimbals, bellows, water pump impellers or transmissions to deal with but obviously you still have to maintain the engines themselves. They aren't good if your boating area has lots of vegetation at or just below the surface. Otherwise, awesome. If you are considering them, take an extended test drive with somebody who understands how to operate them properly (particularly at no wake speed), as they handle a bit differently in practice than your typical I/O or outboard but are very maneuverable once you've figured them out. In your price range, look for clean Yamaha SX or AR 230s, SX or AR 210s or the 212SS.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Where are you boating? Where I boat (Lake Huron) I would not want a bow rider, Take one wave over the bow & you are done and it gets ROUGH out here. On an in-land lake I think it would be nice for the seating available compared to a cuddy.

LK