Merc 5.7, Rochester 4bbl starting problems.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1989 5.7 Merc has always been an instant start motor. Over the winter, I changed the plugs, rotor and cap. When I started it this year, the motor just turned over, nothing. Has the Thunderbolt Ignition IV, traces it to the sensor in the distributor. Replaced. Started the engine, started right away then died. Had to keep pushing on the throttle to put the accelerator pump to put more fuel in as it seemed to starve formfuel. After about 10 minutes, started with the higher rpm. After a minute, put in idle, ran great. Shut it off, turned the key, starts right up with throttle in neutral. Sit over night, start over.

Now when I watch the carb. Not sure my choke is working. One time the rod came off, put it back on and worked great. Re built carb two years ago, worked great. No problems. Since its the cold start and I don't see the choke working, then again, how would it work. I'm leaning in that direction.

Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 5.7, Rochester 4bbl starting problems.

My 1989 5.7 Merc has always been an instant start motor. Over the winter, I changed the plugs, rotor and cap. When I started it this year, the motor just turned over, nothing. Has the Thunderbolt Ignition IV, traces it to the sensor in the distributor. Replaced. Started the engine, started right away then died. Had to keep pushing on the throttle to put the accelerator pump to put more fuel in as it seemed to starve formfuel. After about 10 minutes, started with the higher rpm. After a minute, put in idle, ran great. Shut it off, turned the key, starts right up with throttle in neutral. Sit over night, start over.

Now when I watch the carb. Not sure my choke is working. One time the rod came off, put it back on and worked great. Re built carb two years ago, worked great. No problems. Since its the cold start and I don't see the choke working, then again, how would it work. I'm leaning in that direction.

Thoughts?

Ayuh,.... It takes a stroke of the throttle to Wot, atleast once to set the choke,...

Then either manifold heat, or electricity will pull it off...