Does this look right for WOT

VegaSS

Cadet
2007 Larson 228 LXI WOT @ 5500 rpm and 55-57 mph, Volvo Penta 5.7 Gi (300hp) Duo Prop, with Corsa thru hull. I've heard some of these 228's getting 60+

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Does this look right for WOT

The Corsa does not give you any extra power. With regard to speed it sounds like your in the right range for the engine and your speed is pretty good. Speeds vary based on the accuracy of the speedometer, how the boat is loaded, having the trim set correctly, and the storytelling capabilities of the operator.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

While it does seem to be a high output motor 5500 sure seems high and driven regularly at that wouldn't last too long even if setup for such speed.
In a high performance car it runs at 5500 or what ever for a few seconds.
The Volvo chart I found indicates 5000 rpm for a 280 and the 320
What pitch are the props.
I know next to nothing about the Duo prop.While they must be very efficient,probably amazing hole shot and control.
I wonder if they are best for speed; spinning 2 props in opposite directions through a gear box?

VegaSS

Cadet

While it does seem to be a high output motor 5500 sure seems high and driven regularly at that wouldn't last too long even if setup for such speed.
In a high performance car it runs at 5500 or what ever for a few seconds.
The Volvo chart I found indicates 5000 rpm for a 280 and the 320
What pitch are the props.
I know next to nothing about the Duo prop.While they must be very efficient,probably amazing hole shot and control.
I wonder if they are best for speed; spinning 2 props in opposite directions through a gear box?

Speed is "Speedo", not GPS, so is most certainly off a bit. Not sure of the prop pitch, but is Penta is the 300hp Gi. May have to have the RPM gauge checked also.

jestor68

Commander

Since your full throttle operating range is 4600-5000 rpm, I would verify the accuracy of the tach.

5500 rpm would very bad for the engine. In fact Volvo recommends a cruising rpm 25% below the maximum(3750 in this case) provided the motor can turn 5000 rpm at WOT.

The duo prop is supposedly good for 60+ mph.