Fuel problem with 77 OMC 302

77americaneagle

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. Just replaced fuel pump and filter and canister. When I put the canister on I filled it with gas. I poured a little gas in the carb and it started and ran for a few minutes and then I shut it down ( had water going to it). I had a leak in the fuel line from the pump to the carb and replaced it. Now it won't run again. I checked the filter canister and it was only 3/4 full not enough to go to the pump. Upset so I covered everything up for the night and take a break (and a beer) Tomorrow I will take my 2 gal gas can, go buy a rubber fuel hose and see if it sucks that way and runs. Any other things I should look for?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel problem with 77 OMC 302

Haven't we been here before or am I mixing it up with another poster?

77americaneagle

Seaman Apprentice

No, it was me Boomyal. After a couple of beers last night I guess I had to vent. Sorry.. I borrowed the neighbors outboard tank, with a bulb. Squeezed the bulb a few times and she started right up and ran about fifteen minutes. Hooked my tank to it and she started right up and ran for about 5 minutes and died. Checked the fuel filter canister and it only 1/2 full. Tried the neighbors again and it ran great. Checked to see if it had a anti siphon fitting on the tank but it didn't. Blew out the air vent, bought new fuel line and runs like a champ now. Thanks Boomyal for all your help in my posts and others

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Good deal 77. Sometimes with these deals it is just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other.