89 48 spl carb adjustments??????

iLLphiL

Recruit
I have an 89 48 spl. It has 2 carbs... this motor was just bought and put on the boat.. we take it out to the water and she runs GREAT!!!! EXCEPT... at full throttle... she moves REALLY slow.. I had a 40 hp 'rude on there .. and she moved much quicker then this 48... I would of figured 8 more hp would at least move at the same speed... I have checked every cable adjustment I could find.. .. if i adjust it any more my idle will be to high...I would assume at this point it would be a carb. adjustment.. Any thoughts?? I was thinking maybe fuel/air mixture?? but I don't know where the pins are for it... HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fireman57

Captain
Re: 89 48 spl carb adjustments??????

If you haven't cleaned the carbs do it now. My '89 48 spl runs great but had plenty of junk in the carbs from sitting. Get a cheap inline fuel filter and put it on your fuel line. Cleaning these carbs is a snap.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 48 spl carb adjustments??????

Your carbs have fixed high speed jets, no adjustment available. Go to Evinrude, look up your year and hp in the parts section for exploded drawings of your carbs. The high speed jets are in the float bowl, behind the drain screw. Go to the FAQ section of this forum for carb rebuild how-to and how to make a tool to remove / install thejets without ruining them.