Proper knot for tying to a metal loop on the dock?

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The dock at the marina I use has metal rings to tie off to instead of cleats. What is the proper knot to tie off to those rings? I've never actually tied off there before until a couple days ago to get some lunch, but after finding out how good the food is at the restaurant is I have a feeling I may be back for lunch more often now. I spent the whole time worrying my knots either wouldn't hold, or I wouldn't be able to get them loose so I figured I'd ask here and find out after google failed me.

scubacuda

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Proper knot for tying to a metal loop on the dock?

you tube knot tying for dummies , i'am a member too , or they have a app for that good luck

QC

Supreme Mariner

A simple method is to go through the metal ring and then back to the cleat on the boat ;)

The best knot for a metal ring is typically a bowline, the problem is that it is hard to tie to a specific length, that's why cleats are good.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A simple method is to go through the metal ring and then back to the cleat on the boat ;)

Good advice, we almost always tie back to the cleat no matter where we tie up. Makes for easy exits since no one has to be out of the boat to untie the lines.

Ned L

Commander

QC has the best answer, and the bowline is a knot that won't bind up so you can't untie it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

the bowline is a knot that won't bind up so you can't untie it.
I think you meant so you can untie it. Thanks for the nod :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think you meant so you can untie it. Thanks for the nod :)

all proper yacht knots are designed so there is a release and they can be untied. And they are almost all varieties of 2-3 basic knots.

for a ring, either a bowline or two half hitches. I'd give it an extra wrap around the ring first, to take pressure off the knot.

two half hitches is a clove hitch which is also a cleat.

southkogs

Staff member

I think I might be inclined to run a double the line over and run it through the loop and back through itself ... then tie the two ends off on the cleat of the boat. Kind of a "reverse hitch" through the metal ring on the dock.

Never realized how hard it is to describe a knot :laugh:

Ned L

Commander

Oops, thank you QC yes that is what I meant (small phone screen makes it tough). It won't happen 'overnight', but a turn with a couple of half hitches can lock up pretty tight and be a pain to get untied. Adding that second turn through the ring really helps to prevent that problem.

Bondo

Staff member

The dock at the marina I use has metal rings to tie off to instead of cleats. What is the proper knot to tie off to those rings? I've never actually tied off there before until a couple days ago to get some lunch, but after finding out how good the food is at the restaurant is I have a feeling I may be back for lunch more often now. I spent the whole time worrying my knots either wouldn't hold, or I wouldn't be able to get them loose so I figured I'd ask here and find out after google failed me.

Ayuh,.... There's a little lake up East of here that Everybody has Rings,...

I don't think there's a cleat on the lake,...

The favorite tie-up is the Monkey Braid,..

The 1st loop is the Ring, then run it down 4, 6, 8, loops, 'n lay it on the dock,...

No matter how hard the boat pulls, it won't untie,...

Just pull the tag end, 'n it unravels, 'n pulls free of the ring,... ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you plan to go often, splice a stainless snap onto a pre measured dock line... have em on the cleats and simply snap to the rings... no tying involved

southkogs

Staff member

Ayuh,.... There's a little lake up East of here that Everybody has Rings,...

I don't think there's a cleat on the lake,...

The favorite tie-up is the Monkey Braid,..

The 1st loop is the Ring, then run it down 4, 6, 8, loops, 'n lay it on the dock,...

No matter how hard the boat pulls, it won't untie,...

Just pull the tag end, 'n it unravels, 'n pulls free of the ring,... ;)
Cool knot Bond-o. I get a kick out of those types (maybe I'm a knot geek?), sheepshank is another favorite of mine.

Bondo

Staff member

Damn,... hit the wrong button, 'n lost my story,......:mad: :facepalm: :rolleyes:

It's a Super Simple knot, just a loop through a loop, 'n another loop, through the loop,...
It's easily locked by droppin' the tag-end through the last loop,...

Not that it needs lockin' to hold a boat solid,...
Pushin' a loop through the steel ring, 'n doin' a 1/2 dozen loops, 'n lettin' it lie will hold any boat,...
It won't slip from the boat end, but tuggin' on the tag-end unravels it, 'n it pops outa the steel ring, free,...

I've built Snatch-Straps usin' the knot, 'n ropes too light for the job, for tuggin' big iron outa the mud, 'n snow,...

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about just tie a couple of carabiners to the dock line? just clip and go.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as someone having to be outside the boat to untie, that's not a problem for me. Its just a 16 foot mod v aluminum boat, and the top of the rail is almost dead even with the dock. I'll probably give the monkey braid a try next time. It would seem to me that putting a carabiner on it could end up being a pain to disconnect if it had any tension on it still, and the ring are too big for any other type of snap to work unless it was something huge.