1987 125 hp Power Pack replacement

t money

Cadet
Dear Awesome forum people,

I was speaking with my mechanic who is replacing my bad power pack. He said that the new power pack that he got: After he installed it he said that the spark was not jumping far enough. He then swiched sided of the power pack and it still wasn't jumping far enough(therefore it isn't a bad stator) He called the manufacturer and said that this one was bad they said:
CDI 116-3301 was underpowered by the stator and now I need a new stator.

according to this site it is the right part:

Force 125 Horsepower Power pack 116-5301 116-3301 116-8301 | Outboardignition.com

or here:

Force Switch Boxes - iboats

My question I was under the impression that you only replace blue power packs with blue power packs. My boat currently has blue power packs. And this part is black.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 125 hp Power Pack replacement

Blue or black, supposed to be the same as far as I know.
I mix them and have had no problems.
The manufacturer suggests replacing them in pairs and then they say to replace the coils too.(BS)
Sounds like the mechanic mis-diagnosed the problem and it was the stator all along?
Profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help?
You have an analog test meter?(like them better)
Outboard ignition . com has test procedures for your motor.
I've found on a lot of power packs and triggers the wire breaks under the shrinkwrap at the connectors.
If I work on a new customers motor.
That's the first thing I replace.

t money

Cadet
Re: 1987 125 hp Power Pack replacement

Thanks for the reply

Location Salt Lake City, Utah.

What is the first thing you replace? do you replace the power packs or the wires in the bundle?

How could the problem be mis-diagnosed if the current stator works with my old pack, but now with my new pack (even if I trade them spots and wires)?

I understand what you mean by it being BS to replace the whole thing, any suggestions?

Is there anyone in the area who you trust?

Thanks for your help.