Do you need to carry a spare modular prop hub?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have a Turning Point Hustler prop with a modular hub. If I was to hit something could the hub break such that I would be unable to limp home? Related question: Standard prop hubs sometimes start to slip, w/o warning. Do modular hubs do the same?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do you need to carry a spare modular prop hub?

I do. That's what I assume the whole idea is that the plastic part breaks in the event of a strike. No limping if the brass "core" spins inside of it, or the plastic piece spins inside the propeller. I don't think you need the metal parts although I always carry a thrush washer. Those can fall in the drink too easily . . .

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only once I have seen a modular hub get so destroyed that it was unable to make more than dead idle speed, which is not enough if there is current or wind to deal with. Usually when they spin, you are able to limp home with it at least making hull speed. If you boat somewhere where you think a rock or bottom strike is likely at some point, i would carry spare parts and tools.

For reference, I work for a company that owns 70 boats and most of our boats that i have seen spin a modular hub were heavier boats with 250 or more hp outboards, and it wasnt related to striking anything. however, a nice hit on the reef with a stainless prop will do it too.

oldjeep

Admiral

When I ran props that used them I did - as part of a complete spare prop setup. The Solas props that I run now are integrated hub, so I guess the answer is still yes ;)