1959 Evinrude Lark 35hp, I worked on it and made it worse.

clayspivey

Recruit
10 years ago I traded a 10 foot boat for a 1959 evinrude lark 35 hp in great shape, but not running. We put some new coils on it, and I was off the the lake. At the time I knew not what I was doing and haven't seem to learned anything since. The motor ran and stopped ... on and on. I parked it and went to college.

It sat in the barn for 10 years till a storm blew the barn down. After ten years a week ago it started right up and ran fairly well, but I need to fix the problems it has with not running well .

So I replaced the thermostat, Carb Kit, fuel pump Kit, lower unit, IMPELLER which was in horrible shape and most likely causing my problems ...

I must have screwed up the carb float, now the motor wont run at all. I think it might be flooding.

The new kit came with a needle and float with a clip that I believe clips the needle to the float...... I just don't know much about it.

I bent the small brass piece on the float to about the same position as the float I took off. I thought the float was level with what I read on the internet that it should be.

How much fuel should go through the fuel pump while I have the hose off and am cranking the motor with the electric start?

I made it worse!
I

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Evinrude Lark 35hp, I worked on it and made it worse.

Start by testing the compression.

The Lark will have about 100+ PSI and should be even. That is with electric starter and plugs out.

Now hook up a spark tester set to 3/8" or so. Will it jump the gap with a bright blue ZAP!!??

If both spark and compression check out, spray some pre mixed fuel into the cylinders and then start. Will it now temporarily run?

clayspivey

Recruit

Gerry I coulden't get to your link.

I haven't found a service manual thats under 55 dollars.

clayspivey

Recruit

Chris,

Im going to have to do some research on how to do the compression test.

The motor did run a week ago, after it sat all those years I figured I would try to start it and if it did start then I would work on the carb and other things one at a time. It did run about a week ago fairly well.

So in my mind, unless some random coincidence has changed the ignition, (like taking off the cover hitting the wires) then its in the carb thats keeping it from starting now or the fuel pump.

I took the carb off and adjusted it and the motor did run for a few seconds.

I tried the carb with the original needle and seat that had worked a week ago, and now it wont run with these either.

Then I took the carb off again, put the new needle and seat back on, adjusted the float some and now its worse (as it wont run much at all).

But it does start sometimes while cranking usually if I don't give it too much gas.

Im watching some videos and youtube about carb rebuilding trying to make sure I didn't miss something.
Im going to try to clean it up better this time try in yet again.

I don't have anybody around to crank it while I check the spark on the plugs so its difficult, and I need to check it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Beg/borrow or steal a gauge. Remove the plugs. Ground the plug leads to block. Crank over for a few seconds each cylinder, 7 to 10 revolutions or so. Note reading.

For the carb, take your time and do it right once. When the carb is upside down in your hand, the float should be level and square off the face of the carb body. Blow into the inlet, you should not be able to as your needle should be seated. Flip the carb right side up. Blow in again, you should be able to now as the float will have dropped pulling the needle off its seat. If either of these tests fail something is wrong.

clayspivey

Recruit

That checks out with what I did to the carb.

The thing backfires since I have done the carb kit.

nwcove

Admiral

is it a backfire, or a lean sneeze? could be timing, could be a sheared flywheel key, or just as simple as turning the jets out a bit.