Very strange ignition problem on 225 hp 1987 Figure this out I'm at your beckon call

I have a 225 hp Johnson 1987 Looper, It runs beautiful Half of a turn of the flywheel Let it sit one day and go to start it, no spark. I will try to crank it over And no spark,I Will have let it sit for 30 minutes And it starts right up. The problem is it has a quick start on it and I have no wiring diagram or schematic. I have been working on outboard engines for 25 years and I've never come across a problem like this. So far I have replaced the power pack stater trigger assembly disconnect the micro switch for the shift And the black and yellow trying to get spark. Once she gets spark I can troubleshoot it anymore because spark is perfect 7/16 snap. HELP!!!!!!! Sincerely technically challenged.

daselbee

Commander
Re: Very strange ignition problem on 225 hp 1987 Figure this out I'm at your beckon c

You will notice a yellow/red wire attached to the solenoid pick terminal of the starter solenoid, that runs up under the pack. If that voltage is low (don't remember how high it must be, but I think above 10v) while cranking, it will do as you describe. Try key on, and then jump directly from B+ battery to the pick terminal with a jumper wire. Doing this should guarantee a high enough voltage on that yellow/red wire (bypasses the harness and key). Also, the orange pairs from the stator to the pack are critical in getting enough voltage to the pack to power it up until it starts. Since you replaced the stator and pack, it must be related to the yellow/red voltage... Just a wild stab here....good luck.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Very strange ignition problem on 225 hp 1987 Figure this out I'm at your beckon c

Its either been converted or you meant 1997 as 1987 was a dual pack non quick start engine...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

How about a model number first ?

daselbee

Commander

Could be slow starter speed also. Remove plugs to let it turn faster. Trouble with that is the starter bendix kicks out without a load on it.... Anyway, you know the drill.....

jlh42581

Cadet

Make sure if that engine has S.L.O.W that the wire is not between the coil packs. My boat does this too, when it does, before trying to crank it I have to whack the shift lever back into reverse or forward a couple times. Then she will crank.