Top Gun VS. Sunbrella

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know, another boat cover question. I've tried searching for info here, and on the web, on this, and it seems like every thread I find is old. If I search Top Gun as a keyword alone here, nothing comes up. :facepalm: I'm having a new cover made, and I want to be able to trailer with it on. I went to the upholstery shop yesterday to look at the 2 materials. I know the pro's and con's of both. I've always had Sunbrella, but this time, I'm leaning toward the Top Gun. Every real world user response I can find, it seems that, if they've always used Sunbrella, say go Sunbrella. Others who have used Top Gun, say go Top Gun.

I'm looking for anybody who has used both. The very few responses I've found, for the most part, say go Top Gun. I believe both are American made, so that ruled out making a determination based on that. The Sunbrella needs a treatment every year or so, whereas Top Gun doesn't, so, long term cost of use may be lower with the Top Gun.

I'll gladly pay you 3 cents for your 2 cents worth.......

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Top Gun VS. Sunbrella

I haven't used Sunbrella, but I LOVE my Top Gun canvas! It's holding up like STEEL!

Side view short back sm.jpg

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, BobG. How old is your top?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

It's a year old. Bought it new with the boat. When the boat is in the driveway, the canvas is up all the time. When we're on the lake, it's usually up, but come winter, the whole shebang goes into the house. It's BEEN snowed on, but not excessively.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO, You can't go wrong with either. I had a Sunbrella cover made for my Lund 4 0r 5 years ago, cause its what the shop used and had in stock. It's still in great shape and does it's job.

My dad like it and wanted one for his boat, so I had the shop close to his house make one for him, they used top gun, cause thats what they had in stock,it's only a few months newer than the cover I had made, it's still in great shape and does it's job very well also.

Both boats have sit side by side in the same shed, been treated the same, and exposed to the same things for the last 3.5 years. Neither has an edge over the other. Again IMHO.

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the Top Gun. I'll report in a few years if it was a good or bad decision.

You know an odd thing? I tried searching here, in the search box, for Top Gun, and nothing, not even this thread, came up. It just seems odd that a thread titled Top Gun vs Sunbrella doesn't come up, but, if I search for Sunbrella, it does. Is there something wrong with the search function here, or???

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our SkipperLiner is a testament to Sunbrella. ALL of the Sunbrella on the thing, the wind dodgers on all the top & bottom railing and the party top canvas, was installed in 2000 (to the best of my knowledge). This boat has never been in any shade in all that time, and it lived in Arizona until 2006 when we bought it. 13 years old and it's still holding up nicely. In 2007 we had to have the top re-sewn after a windstorm- not because of the canvas, but because the thread gave out, separating the valance from the main canvas and also separated one of the 3 main canvas seams. Since then I cover the top with a tarp over the winter. The dodgers have never been covered in any way. The trim stitching which is about shot, but the canvas itself is still going strong.

This pic was taken July of last year. This boat has always been docked bow to north, so you're looking at the side that has always faced the west sun. Check the dodgers on top, after more than 4700 days of never being covered they're not the least bit torn, worn or faded - only the stitching is going bad...

skipsunbrella.jpg

I've never heard of Top Gun, and I'm sure it's good stuff but until someone gets 13 summers and winters use out it, I won't be changing over!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Top Gun is a little harder to work with and many jobs I see end up having wrinkles for some reason.

Its the thread that sews it all together that's the weak point however.

Expidia

Commander

No choice here . . . TOP GUN. I paid $700 for a custom made trailering cover 6 years ago for my 15 foot rig. it's the best because it has a rubberized feel to it and yetnstill has give to it when I'm streching it to snap it onto my rails. Cleans up easily and does not stretch out like Sunbrella does. Sunbrella is ok for a bimini (My Sunbrella bimini from ******** is already streching out this season where I can't stand up anymore while driving without the top sagging on my head).
When I had the shop make the trailering cover up for me he said Top Gun For the same price as Sunbrella and I figured he was just trying to sell me the Top Gun fabric because it cost him less than Sunbrella. I was so wrong!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are in a moist climate, make sure there are vents put in the cover if you use Top Gun. It doesn't breathe as well as Sunbrella and you will get a mildew problem.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I have new Sunbrella supreme cover. It is 100% waterproof and seems to breath well.
I am sold on this material.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can't comment on the Sunbrella fabric, I can however comment on the Top Gun. If the Sunbrella fabric is like my bimini top, bow cover, I'm very happy that I did not go that rout instead of buying my 2nd Top Gun. I just can't see Sunbrella standing up to towing in the wind and rain and maintaining it's integrity.
Oddly, I though Top Gun was just the name that the guy who made my last two covers called his covers. I know, , duh.

Anyway, my first Top Gun was on a 1750 Lund Tyee I.O. Had it 3 years, towing 260 miles practically every other weekend during the summer. Held up like steel and cleanned up very well. That boat got totalled by a semi-truck, , but the cover held up. :) Actually, it went with the boat when the insurance people took it.
Now onto my second Top Gun on my 1850 Tyee. Going on season #2, about the same amount of towing, same results, , AWESOME!
But as previously stated, it also has a lot to do with the person who sews up the top. My guy adds double layers wherever there would be a lot of rubbing or where there is a "sharp" corner.
No amount of stretching after towing in heavy wind or wind and rain, just stays really nice and tight.

My two cents.

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I paid $700 for a custom made trailering cover.....
Top Gun For the same price as Sunbrella and I figured he was just trying to sell me the Top Gun fabric because it cost him less than Sunbrella.

That's the same price as mine.

I've read comments elsewhere about Top Gun being a cheaper price, although, everywhere I see it for sale, it's priced pretty close to the same as Sunbrella. I figure if it's harder to work with, that kinda offsets the cover costing the same with either material.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The material cost of the cover is less than a third of the total price. Its the labor that sets the price.

Either fabric is good. The tread holding it all together is the thing that will be failing first. The cover that I made for my boat is Sunbrella. It is 10 years old and there are spots where i need to redo the stitching. Fabric is still perfect.

GAC112

Cadet

I have used both - sort of. I had Sunbrella on two other boats. I probably didn't take care of them as I should have, but both leaked eventually and had mildew problems. I am sure it is good material if one keeps after maintenance. I just had a Top Gun cover made for my current boat. I really don't see the comparison at this point. TG just looks way more water resistant and durable. The guy that made the cover has a boat sitting in his yard with a TG cover. I asked if they did anything to maintain it - he replied: "It has been sitting there for 10 years and all we do is look at it and have never had a leak or problem". He won't make you a Sunbrella cover. That is my .02

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. GAC112, what you said pretty much mirrors what a buddy of mine said. I was wondering, where do you live?

Chris N

Seaman Apprentice

We've used both and they are both really good. Sunbrella seems to breath better than the top gun but if you keep your interior dry that shouldn't be an issue. I have been warned about trailering with the full top on though. Apparently sustained highway speeds can cause major damage to the fabric, kind of like luffing a sail for too long.

GAC112

Cadet

I live in Maryland - but my boat is in Delaware at the moment. If you are asking about where I got my cover done - it was Milleville (sp) De. near Fenwick. One of the above posters mentioned venting the Top Gun. I believe that is a wise move - it just doesn't look as if it can breathe, which is also why I like it, no water. Mine has three pole vents. I am going to replace them with solar - pole vent fans (not sure what they are really called - but you get my point :) eventually.