Tires appearance- new axel spindle install

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Installed new 3500lb axel and spindles from Tie Down,, Venture is model, installed fine,, no issues at all ,new hubs rotors and surge break installed too.. new bearings, took for test drag, no problems, smooth.. noticed when looking at the tires from the front of boat they both appear slightly off verticle, just barely,, is that normal,, everything is tight and looks good, thanks for input

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tires appearance- new axel spindle install

If NO boat on trailer, then YES. Tires will appears to be very off-vertical (due to axle "camber"). With loaded boat, full tank of gas and loaded with average gear, the trailer tires will look near vertical. They may appear to be slightly off. But, very little - compared to an empty trailer.

Extract from Dexter axle site:

AXLES - Why are some axles bent in the middle? The upward bend in the axle is called "camber". Camber is the angular relationship of the wheel to the road surface in the vertical plane. Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load.

Hope this helps..

Jonvee

Cadet

Tapered bearing set on a straight axle?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure what you mean? its a straight axel, VENTURE 79.12" Square Galvanized Trailer Axle (3550 lb.) #46098 with 1 3/8 1 1/16 bearings in place....... spindle has typical machine milled varience marks,, bearings ride where they are suppose to... it tows smooth and straight... likely due to slight flex in axel with boat loat I would surmise... boats 2450 empty, probably less than 2700 with batteries and 1/4 tank of gas..trailers probably 600 - 3300 ish... total...

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tapered bearing set on a straight axle?

Don't you mean a straight spindle? I know what your trying to say but that has nothing to do with tapered roller bearings. I have straight spindles and tapered roller bearings, with both the inner and outer bearings having the same bore diameter. ImperialIVC200's spindle has a step in it. That's why it takes a 1 3/8" bearing and a 1 1/16 " bearing.

DLH

Jonvee

Cadet

Spindle, yes, a better choice of words.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat's on trailer, View attachment 196994 pic attached

With my small computer screen, I cannot see how vertical "off" the boat tires are. I'd tow around for a while and see how its tires wear. If tires wear on their outer edges, then visit axle shop and get an alignment. They have portable power presses that can re-shape a trailer axle. If you feel the vertical position of tires are way off (and need alignment now), then take to a trailer axle alignment shop now. When visiting your local axle shop, ask if they want the trailer with out with "average loaded" boat. Most want "with" average loaded boat - to adjust axle for loaded weight compression as well....

Hope this helps.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the input,, they are marginally off verticle, only by a tiny bit,, gave it test run,, very smooth, no issues at all, surge breaks are pretty sweet to,, one thing I learned with those is you have to pump them up a lot when pressure testing for leaks and get the caliper pistons out there so the pads are against the rotor...,,if you dont do that they will never get where they need to be and dont work.. the load wont ever get to capasity of 3500, I think Im in good shape,,,, the original axel I replaced had a step in it also, only thing was it was smooth and worn out,,,no machined milled lines to keep bearings from wiggling around a bit and that's a bad thing,, Im very pleased with the new axel and think my problems are over,, thanks all!! FISH ON!!

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your talking about the center race or cone of the bearing slowly rotating around the spindle, that's normal and desirable Evens out the wear on the cone. That's why you should lube the center bore of the cone before putting it on the spindle. Ask any old mechanic.

DLH