115 tower adjustment

popknot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had my 1986 115hp L6 powerhead rebuilt last summer. 6 new pistons, cylinders bored, carbs rebuilt,new fuel filter, new fuel lines, new plugs ,new stator. Got it back late august last year so didnt get to use it alot last summer. Ran great after I got it back strong on the topend great out of the hole except for wanting to die everytime at idle when I put it in gear. Had to give it throttle quickly or it would die. Mechanic said carbs may need to be tweaked after I ran the break in fuel through it. So after the break in fuel 12 Gal of 25:1 was run through it I took it back and ask if he could get it where it didnt want to die so bad everytime I tried to put it in gear and get it adjusted out. I got it back and it was better about not dying, idled better but the neutral RPM was at about 1000. according to my tach on the dash of the boat which may be terribly inaccurate I dont know. I didnt like that high idle Rpm(1000) as I was afraid of beating up my lower unit up. After storing it through the winter, with the fuel treated with Stabil Marine stabilizer and getting it out this year it just seemed like it was loading up at idle, not idleing well and would eventually die if you tried to idle too long as in no wake zones. So I took it to the lake yesterday and tried to adjust the mixture screws (in till it leans out then quickly back out 1/2 turn) and set the idle stop screw to achieve a slower idle. I also removed the idle stabilizer and plugged the cross flow tubes as suggested. Got it smothed out and down to about 850-900 rpm (again by my tach) in nuetral, couldn't seem to get it much lower, readjusted the pre load on the throttle cable and put it in the lake. It kept wanting to fall on its face coming out of the hole so I adjusted the screws out (counter clockwise) a few times and it seemed to do better, good hole shot idled great, although I can never achieve more than about 4800 RPM WOT?? Anyway went to put it on trailer at ramp and when I tried to power it up on the trailer it had no throttle just bogged down and died every time. after 3 times I just gave up and backed the trailer in further and winched it on. So I 'm thinking I just need to richen up the mixture screws some more but i'm not for sure as i've adjusted them out 1/8 turn approx each time already. Not sure which direction I need to go for sure? I know the mixture srcews and the stop screw are the 2 last adjustments to be made but I assumed the mechanic was correct in all his adjustments prior to that and they shouldn't have changed. By what I can observe they seem correct?

mr 88

Commander
Re: 115 tower adjustment

Have you done the Link n sync ?? That should be step one after a complete rebuild. You may be advancing the throttle/gas but the timing/linkage may be way off and not advancing with the gas.

popknot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the mechanic (who was highly reccomended and does good work!) should have done a link and sync and nothing should have changed other than I slightly changed the idle timing as I adjusted the idle stop screw. I was just trying to tweak it some with the mixture screws and idle speed (stop screw) to slow the idle down slightly (by retarding the timing I am assuming). The 2 last steps in the process according to the mercury manual is the mixture screws and the stop screw. I was just trying to tweak that adjustment. Thanks.

mr 88

Commander

Maybe you should confirm the link n sync instead of assuming it was done.Things change when you do a major overhaul.

popknot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah might have to. I'll have to try and round up a timing light I don't have one. I guess any automotive timing light will work? Also I don't have a dial indicator, but the pointer should be set correctly I would hope. Thanks for the help. John